Petersham railway station
Westbound view in July 2006
|Location||Trafalgar Street, Petersham|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||5.50 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Opened||6 January 1857|
The heritage listed Victorian Italianate station built in 1885 facing Terminus Street, with platform at rear, is the only major 'First Class' station building known to have been built in Sydney in the 19th century.
A turn-back siding previously located between the local tracks has now been removed. This turn back siding was located on land now used for the training college west of the station.
A pedestrian subway was provided in 1892 at the western end of the station, connecting Trafalgar and Terminus Streets. Access to the platforms from this subway closed after 1988. A neo-gothic footbridge is located at the eastern end of the station.
Upgrades to the station took place in the late 1990s, with the wooden steps on the footbridge being replaced due to their slipperiness in wet weather, a small but high-roofed shed at the east end of the platform being removed for security reasons, and the area under the lower part of the platform stairs also being fenced-off for similar concerns.
In 1967, the Department of Railways granted the New South Wales Rail Transport Museum use of the former goods sidings pending its moving to Enfield. On 6 November 1987, this site was opened by the State Rail Authority as a training college, being officially opened by Minister for Transport Ron Mulock. It was refurbished in 2008. As well as various pieces of rail signalling and track infrastructure, the training college has two S set carriages.
Platforms and services
|1||services to Central & the City Circle|||
|2||services to Homebush
limited services to Liverpool & Campbelltown
Sydney Buses operate three routes via Petersham station:
- 412: King Street Wharf to Campsie station
- 444: Balmain Wharf to Campsie station
- 445: Balmain Wharf to Campsie station via Lilyfield
- Petersham Station NSWrail.net
- "NSW Railway Passenger Services 1880-1905" Australian Railway History Vol 56 No 810 April 2005 page 141
- "Sydney Electric Trains from 1926-1960" Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin April 2001 page 128
- Petersham Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Reading the Railway Landscape" Australian Railway History May 2010 Volume 61 no 871
- Stations & Tracks Volume 1 Main Suburban State Rail Authority 1988
- "The New South Wales Rail Transport Museum: The First Thirty Years" Roundhouse January 1994 page 5
- "Staff Training College" Railway Digest February 1988 page 48
- Petersham Rail Leighton Contractors
- "T2: Inner West & South line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 13 December 2015.
- "Route 412 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 21 March 2010 [Reprinted June 2014].
- "Routes 444 and 445 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 20 October 2013.
- NightRide bus services Transport Info NSW