Petit Seminaire Higher Secondary School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Petit Seminaire Higher Secondary School|
பெத்தி செமினேர் மேனிலைப்பள்ளி
355, Mahatma Gandhi Road
|School type||Private Higher secondary school|
|Motto||Latin: Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum|
(English: Nothing Is Great Unless It Is Good
Tamil: நல்லதே மேலானது)
|Patron saint(s)||Saint Joseph|
|Opened||19 March 1846|
|School board||Matriculation / State Board|
|President||Most Rev. Antony Anandarayar|
|Principal||Rev. Fr. R. PASCAL RAJ|
|Classes||Lower and upper Kindergarten|
1 Std to 12 Std
|Average class size||50|
|Medium of language||English|
|Language||Tamil, French, Hindi|
|Hours in school day||8|
|Houses||Red House, Blue House, Yellow House and Green House|
|Colour(s)||White and grey|
The history of Petit Seminaire dates back to 1844 as a seminary attended by 89 students of whom 25 seminarians. In 1873 it became a public college. In 1880, Petit Seminaire stopped receiving government subsidy, and has maintained its financial independence.
The student population showed an increase from 800 in 1903 to 1100 in 1907, of whom 700 were Catholics. In 1932, the English section was upgraded into a high school, preparing boys for matriculation and was affiliated with the Madras university. In July 1978, Petit Seminare was born again, this time as Petit Seminaire Higher Secondary School, offering two courses of study at the higher secondary level.
The school's motto is "Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum" meaning "Nothing is great unless good".
When Fr. J. Paul became the principal of the school in December 1984 there were 3,500 students and when he left the strength was 6,100. He produced 100% results quite a few times both in Matriculation and higher Secondary. The school got the first few Ranks consistently in Puducherry territory.
Physical health education
Physical training and health education is given to all the students from Lower Kindergarten(L.K.G.) to Higher Secondary level. 'Human Resource Development' subject is taken from 4th standard to 9th standard.
All students from the L.K.G. to 10th grade are given computer experience. Computer science is taught as a subject along with Mathematics. It has been extended to 11th and 12th standard students.
Majors/subjects offered in higher secondary course
- Part I - Languages - English
- Part II - Tamil, Hindi, French
- Part III - Optional
- Group I - Biology, Physics & Chemistry, Mathematics (3 sections)- A1, A2, A3
- Group II - Physics & Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science (1 section) B
- Group III - Commerce, Economics, Accounts & Business Mathematics. (1 section) C
The principals of this school over the time are:
- Fr. Marion Bresillac Melchior Marie Joseph (1844 – 1846)
- Fr. Joseph-Isidore Godelle (1846 – 1850)
- Fr. Godet Louis Prosper Adolphe Marie. (1850 – 1855)
- Fr. Henry Joseph (1855 – 1883)
- Fr. Dury Ernest (1883 – 1887)
- Fr. Jegorel Jean Marie (1888 -1894)
- Fr. Leroy Pierre Gustave (1895 – 1900)
- Fr. Escande Pierre Etienne (1900 – 1933)
- Fr. Guillerm Francois (1933 – 1948)
- Fr. P. A. Swamikannu (1948 – 1960)
- Fr. S. Peter (1960 – 1970, 1973 – 1980)
- Fr. R. Ratchagar (1970 – 1971)
- Fr. C. N. Philip (1971 – 72)
- Fr. P. Jegaraj (1972 – 73)
- Fr. M. Peter (1981 – 84)
- Fr. J. Paul (1984 – 1997)
- Fr. A. Arulappan – (1997 – 1999)
- Fr. M. Dominic Rozario (1999 – 2002)
- Fr. S. Antonisamy (2002 – 2007)
- Fr. M. S. John Bosco (2007 – 2013)
- Fr. P. Arulnathan (2013 - 2015)
- Fr. R. Pascal Raj (2015 - present )
- Most Rev. Dr. Michael Augustine, Former Archbishop of Pondicherry and Cuddalore., who also served as the Vice-Principal of this school in 1961.
- Most Rev. Dr. Yvon Ambrose, Bishop of Tuticorin,
- Rev.Fr. A. J. C. Lawrence - who also served as Vice Principal of this school in 1976 - clergy of Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore.
- Rev.Fr. Dr. J. Paul - served as Principal from 1984 to 1997 - clergy of Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore.
- Mr M.Ilango, Former Member of the Legislative Assembly