Petra Haden playing with The Decemberists.
October 11, 1971 |
New York City
|Associated acts||Salamander, That Dog, The Rentals, Tito & Tarantula, The Decemberists, Foo Fighters|
Petra Haden (born October 11, 1971) is an American violinist and singer. She is or has been a member of several bands, including That Dog, Tito & Tarantula, and The Decemberists; has contributed to recordings by The Twilight Singers, Beck, Mike Watt, Luscious Jackson, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Queens of the Stone Age, Weezer, The Rentals, Victoria Williams, Yuka Honda, The Gutter Twins, and Cornelius. She is the daughter of the jazz bassist Charlie Haden; the triplet sister of bassist Rachel Haden (her bandmate in That Dog) and cellist Tanya Haden (married to singer and actor Jack Black) with whom she has performed as The Haden Triplets; and the sister of bassist-singer Josh Haden, leader of the group Spain.
In New York City, in 1996 she released her first album, Imaginaryland, consisting mostly of original a cappella music. In 2000, Petra was struck by a car while crossing a street in Los Angeles; the resulting injuries forced her out of performance for several months. In 2005 she released the home-recorded album Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out (Bar/None), a complete a cappella rendition of The Who Sell Out. The project was suggested to Haden by longtime friend Mike Watt, who also gave her the eight-channel multi-track cassette recorder she used to make it. Funded in part by a Durfee grant and wanting to perform the work live, Haden created a new arrangement of The Who Sell Out for a ten-woman a cappella choir called Petra Haden & The Sellouts. The premier live performance of the full work occurred in July 2005 at the Ford Amphitheatre as a part of the "sound." concert series.
She has also released a self-titled collaboration with jazz guitarist Bill Frisell.
She contributed to the recording of ØØ Void by drone metal band Sunn O))) and played on the debut and follow up album of Sunn O))) guitarist Greg Anderson's other doom metal band Goatsnake. The Haden Triplets sang the part of the Fates in Anaïs Mitchell's 2010 release Hadestown on Righteous Babe Records.
In 2007, Haden recorded an a cappella cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" for the compilation album Guilt by Association Vol. 1. This arrangement of the song is very similar to that used in the Glee version of the song in 2009.
In 2009, Toyota commissioned Haden to perform three songs for television commercials for the third-generation Toyota Prius, including an a cappella version of the Bellamy Brothers 1970s song "Let Your Love Flow" and worked as an arranger and vocal coach on The Sing Off on NBC, alongside Deke Sharon.
In 2014 she worked on a collaboration with Jim Bianco in Hooray Matinee. The resulting tracks were released on a number of digital outlets.
In 2015, she provided vocals for the rock mockumentary "Gentle & Soft: The Blue Jean Committee Story", the 1st season finale of the IFC series Documentary Now! (starring Fred Armisen & Bill Hader). Haden's voice was used as the falsetto of Blue Jean Committee bassist Clark Honus (played by Hader). Haden even appeared live with Armisen & Hader as "The Blue Jean Committee" on Late Night With Seth Meyers, with Hader lip-synching to Haden's vocals. 
- Imaginaryland (1996)
- Bella Neurox (credited as Miss Murgatroid & Petra Haden) (1999)
- Petra Haden & Bill Frisell (credited as Petra Haden & Bill Frisell) (2003)
- Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out (2005)
- Hearts & Daggers (credited as Miss Murgatroid & Petra Haden) (2008)
- Ten Years (credited as Petra Haden & Woody Jackson) (2008)
- If By Yes, Salt On Sea Glass (2011)
- Petra Goes to the Movies (2013)
The SALAMANDER album
That Dog albums
With Paul Motian
- The Windmills of Your Mind (Winter & Winter, 2011)
- Bowe, Brian (March 2005). "Petra Haden Sells Out". Creem Magazine Online. Creem Magazine. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- Horwitz, Andy (8 January 2007). "Performance Report: The Rapture Project". Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "Will Oldham, Devendra Banhart cover Spice Girls, Mariah". NME. 7 May 2007. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- "Glee Cast Glee: The Music, Volume 1 Review". BBC. 11 Feb 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "Toyota Lets the Love Flow". Adtunes. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "AOL Radio - Free Internet Radio - Listen to Millions of Songs, Hundreds of Stations Online". Spinner.com. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- . YouTube.com title=Blue Jean Committee - Catalina Breeze (live on Late Night with Seth Meyers) https://youtube.com/8WiDmHaAmZU title=Blue Jean Committee - Catalina Breeze (live on Late Night with Seth Meyers) Check
|url=scheme (help). Retrieved 2015-09-28. Missing or empty
- Official website
- Petra Haden's channel on YouTube
- Pete Townshend on Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell Out from The Boston Globe.
- Petra Haden discography at MusicBrainz
- Petra Haden at the Internet Movie Database
- Petra Haden performing as a part of "Exquisite Corpse" at the SASSAS/sound. concert archive
- Petra Haden and the Sell Outs performing "I Can See for Miles" at SASSAS @ YouTube
- Get Petra's version of "Let Your Love Flow" here