|Member of the European Parliament|
14 July 2009
June 1, 1966 |
|Political party|| German:
Social Democratic Party
Party of European Socialists
|Alma mater||University of Duisburg|
Petra Kammerevert (born 1 June 1966) is a German politician and Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from Germany. She is a member of the Social Democratic Party of Germany, part of the Party of European Socialists.
Education and professional experience
Following her Abitur in Düsseldorf in 1985, Kammerevert studied sociology and political science at the University of Duisburg, graduating with a degree in Social Sciences. Between 1992 and 2002, she worked as a scientific adviser to a Member of the European Parliament, spending the first eighteen months in Brussels and the remainder in Düsseldorf. From 2002-2009 she worked as a consultant for the ARD public service broadcasting company.
Kammerevert joined the Social Democratic Party of Germany in 1984 and initially participated as a board member of the Young Socialists in the SPD's Lower Rhine regional group between 1987 and 1990. In 1992 she assumed the chair of the Young Socialists in the SPD Düsseldorf, an office which she retained until 1995. Since 1997, she has been a member of the executive committee of the SPD Düsseldorf. Between 1999 and 2009, she was a member of the municipal council of Düsseldorf. Since 2004, she has also been a member of the executive committee of the SPD Lower Rhine region. Since 2012, Kammerevert has been a member of the SPD leadership in North Rhine-Westphalia under chairwoman Hannelore Kraft.
Member of the European Parliament, 2009–present
In the 2009 European Parliament election, Kammerevert was elected as a Member of the European Parliament on the Social Democratic Party of Germany list for North Rhine-Westphalia. As such, she sits in the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats parliamentary group. Her "constituency" comprises Düsseldorf, Krefeld, Mettmann, Mönchengladbach, Neuss, Remscheid, Solingen and Wuppertal.
In the European Parliament, she works as a member of the Committee on Culture and Education, which is also responsible for media, information, youth and sports policy, and as a substitute member of the Committee on Transport and Tourism. Between 2014 and 2017, she has been serving as her parliamentary group’s coordinator on the Committee on Culture and Education. Alongside Sabine Verheyen, Kammerevert was selected in 2016 as co-rapporteurs on the audio-visual media services directive, which seeks to introduce levies and cultural quotas on services like Netflix. Since 2017, she has been serving as the committee’s chairwoman.
In addition to her committee assignments, Kammerevert is a Member of the EU-Croatia Joint Parliamentary Committee. She is also a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda. On the national level, she is a member of the executive committee of the SPD's commission on media.
- Westdeutscher Rundfunk (WDR), Member of the Broadcasting Council (since 2009)
- Fortuna Düsseldorf, Member
- Düsseldorfer EG, Member
- "Petra KAMMEREVERT". European Parliament. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- "Experts - European Music Council (EMC), Conseil Européen de la Musique (CEM), Europäischer Musikrat (EMR), Consejo europeo de la música (CEM)". Emc-imc.org. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Biographie/Biographic Petra Kammerevert - Petra Kammerevert - Mitglied des Europäischen Parlaments". Kammerevert.eu. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Wahlen: 18 Abgeordnete aus NRW fürs Europaparlament gewählt". Koeln-bonn.business-on.de. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Kammerevert Petra". Socialistsanddemocrats.eu. 1966-06-01. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- Chris Spillane (June 13, 2016), MEPs crafting Netflix legislation sit on board of German public broadcaster Politico Europe.
- Chris Spillane (January 23, 2017), Culture committee elects Petra Kammerevert as chair Politico Europe.
- "Kammerevert, Petra. - European Parliamentary Yearbook". Euparliament.eu. 1966-06-01. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Members European Parliament Intergroup on the Digital Agenda.
- "WDR-Rundfunkrat: Zweite stellvertretende Vorsitzende gewählt 18.12.2009 - WDR Presselounge". Wdr.de. 2009-12-18. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Rundfunkrat - Unternehmen WDR". Wdr.de. Retrieved 2011-07-19.