Němcová in 2012
24 June 1979
Karviná, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic)
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||117 lb/53 kg|
|Manager||ONE Model Management (New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, Paris, Milan); Unique One, Mikas, View Management|
Petra Němcová (Czech pronunciation: [ˈpɛtra ˈɲɛmt͡sovaː]; born 24 June 1979) is a Czech model, television host, and philanthropist. Němcová founded and chairs the Happy Hearts Fund. Nemcova and Happy Hearts Fund are the subjects of a public controversy with the Clinton Foundation and Happy Hearts Fund's former executive director..
She has featured in campaigns for: Benetton, Bulgari, Cartier, Clarins, Cortefiel, Dirk Bikkembergs, Fortunoff, Graff, Hewlett Packard/Intel, HS, Intimissimi, John Lewis, Lancaster, La Perla, La Senza, Maidenform, Max Factor, Pantene Pro-V, Passport, Playtex, Rampage, Schwarzkopf, Victoria's Secret, and Wild Orchid. Additionally, she has appeared on the covers of Madame Figaro, Elle, Shape, Cosmopolitan, Flare, Vegas, Glamour, FHM, and Sports Illustrated.
From 2000 to 2004, she worked for designers Lolita Lempicka, Gai Mattiolo Erreuno, Matthew Williamson, Custo Barceloa, Blunauta, Dirk Bikkembergs, Gugliemo Cappone, Luciano soprani, Marina Babini, Yumi Katsura, Akadius, and Michino Koshino.
Němcová gained attention outside the fashion industry after featuring on the cover of the 2003 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, from a shoot in Barbados by Walter Iooss. She also appeared in the 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 editions. She was the object/subject of Joanne Gair's body painting work. In January 2015 Němcová replaced Abbey Clancy as the face of Ultimo underwear.
In 2001, Němcová appeared on British television series Absolutely Fabulous. On 3 June 2004, she was one of the telecast judges during the 53rd annual Miss Universe competition in Quito, Ecuador. In 2007, she was the host of TLC's A Model Life. On 7 July 2007 she was a presenter at the American leg of Live Earth.
In 2005, Němcová released her autobiography Love Always, Petra (ISBN 0446579130).
In 2008, Němcová partnered with New York agency Aglow Properties to sell two apartments.
Němcová is multilingual and speaks Czech, Slovak, Polish, English, French and Italian. She was briefly engaged to English actor Jamie Belman. In May 2014, Němcová told People that she is dating the former Prime Minister of Haiti, Laurent Lamothe.
Němcová was at Khao Lak, Thailand with her main photographer and then-fiancé, Simon Atlee when the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck. Atlee drowned and Němcová suffered a broken pelvis and serious internal injuries, but she managed to hold on to a palm tree for eight hours until she was rescued by Thai civilians and airlifted to an inland hospital nearby.
On 12 November 2007 Němcová visited Haiti with Haitian-born musician Wyclef Jean. The visit included the opening of a computer lab and an eatery in the slums of Port-au-Prince, funded and sponsored by Jean's Yéle Haïti Foundation and Němcová's Happy Hearts Fund.
On 15 December 2009, Němcová and HHF Executive Director Phillip Caputo launched the "Bring Happiness Back!" campaign at the United Nations to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the Indian Ocean tsunami. That same day, Němcová and Caputo also participated in the closing bell ceremonies at NASDAQ where the "Bring Happiness Back!" Campaign was also highlighted.
Glamour magazine awarded Němcová a "Survivor Award" in 2005 for her charity work following her tsunami ordeal.
Němcová is a supporter of the NY- and DC-based nonprofit Only Make Believe. Only Make Believe is a 501(c)(3) organization that creates and performs interactive plays in children's hospitals and care facilities. In 2012, Němcová acted as the face of Only Make Believe in lighting the Empire State Building and received the James Hammerstein Award, for her outstanding dedication to children in need, at the 2012 "Make Believe on Broadway" Gala. She also acted as the Celebrity Ambassador for Only Make Believe at Bloomberg Tradebook's 2nd Annual Charity Day, and hosted a June 2014 fundraising gala in New York City featuring former president Bill Clinton as the principal speaker.
- Petra Nemcova at Fashion Model Directory
- Sontag, Deborah (29 May 2015). "An Award for Bill Clinton Came With $500,000 for His Foundation". The New York Times.
- Shaw, Adam (20 June 2015). "Ex-charity exec who helped expose $500G Clinton Foundation donation faces legal threats". Fox News.
- "SI Swimsuit Collection: Petra Nemcova". Time Inc. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- Ultimo. "Petra Nemcova for Ultimo photos are out, and more news". SI.com.
- "Petra Nemcova". IMDb.
- Derschowitz, Jessica (2 March 2011). ""Dancing with the Stars" pairs revealed". CBS News.
- "'Dancing with the Stars' twelfth-season partner pairings announced". Reality TV World.
- "Nemcova Street". Vogue. 7 May 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Bull, Sarah (7 January 2011). "Petra Nemcova engaged to British actor Jamie Belman after whirlwind eight-month romance". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Petra Nemcova and Jamie Belman Call Off Engagement". People. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Petra Nemcova: I'm 'Very Happy' Dating Laurent Lamothe".
- "2004 Tsunami: Petra Nemcova, the supermodel who survived the Boxing Day tragedy" Retrieved 11 June 2015
- "Nemcova hospitalized with hip, internal injuries". ESPN. 29 December 2004. Retrieved 31 December 2008.
- Nemcova, Petra (18 March 2010). "Restoring the Lives of Children After Natural Disasters: How You Can Bring Happiness Back". Huffington Post.
- "NASDAQ MarketSite Event". nasdaq.com.
- "Model Petra Nemcova's charity work in Haiti honoured". The Independent. 13 June 2012.
- Sontag, Deborah - "An Award for Bill Clinton Came with $500,000 for His Foundation", New York Times, May 29, 2015.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
- Petra Němcová on Twitter
- Happy Hearts Fund
- Petra Nemcova at the Fashion Model Directory
- Petra Němcová at the Internet Movie Database