|District||North 24 Parganas|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Petrapole is the Indian side of Petrapole-Benapole border checkpoint between India and Benapole of Bangladesh near Bongaon in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. Petrapole border is the only land port in south Bengal. It is also the largest land customs station in Asia.
This check post accounts for more than half of the $4-billion (nearly double the trade volume with Pakistan) trade with Bangladesh. This is the largest land port of Asia. The landport alone accounts for nearly 60 per cent of the bilateral trade between India and Bangladesh. According to study by RITES, the goods traffic is approximately 400 trucks per day both ways, while the 2006 passenger traffic was about 1,159 people per day (both incoming and outgoing). The total traffic in 2029-30 has been projected as 2,938 trucks per day and the passenger traffic by then will be 3,924 people per day.
The Petrapole-Benapole rail link was opened in 2001 after being closed for 24 years. There is a proposal to construct a by-pass road to ease congestion on the present road, connecting Benapole to NH 35, bypassing Bangaon.
- Chief secretary visits Petrapole border timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 6 May 2013
- Customs wants better rail link thru Petrapole thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 6 May 2013
- Integrated check post planned at Petrapole to boost trade with Dhaka thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 6 May 2013
- Petrapole infrastructure to be beefed up thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 6 May 2013
- Petrapole-Benapole rail link re-opens after 24 years hindu.com. Retrieved 6 May 2013
- Bypass to ease border traffic telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 6 May 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Petrapole Border.|