Petro Nini Luarasi
|Petro Nini Luarasi|
22 April 1864|
Luaras, Albania, then Ottoman Empire
|Died||17 August 1911
Ersekë, Albania, then Ottoman Empire
|Occupation||Priest, Writer, Teacher|
|Notable works||Excommunication of the Albanian letters, 1911
The Defamation of the Albanian, 1911
Petro Nini Luarasi (born 22 April 1864 in Luaras, Kolonjë, Albania, then Ottoman Empire, and died on 17 August 1911 in Ersekë, Kolonjë, Albania, then Ottoman Empire) was an Albanian rilindas activist, Christian orthodox priest, teacher and journalist. His father, Nini Petro Kostallari, had also been active in the Albanian National Revival as a publicist and teacher.
Once that he finished the Qestorat seminary school under Koto Hoxhi, he worked as a teacher in the villages of Kolonjë District, where he taught Albanian in disguise and prepared a number of friends as future teachers of Albanian. In 1887-1893 he opened in Ersekë and in some villages of the Kolonjë District Albanian language schools.
Subsequently he emigrated to the United States in the 1904 - 1908 period, where he was an active member of the Albanian National Movement and initiator of the patriotic associations Motherland Nostalgia (Albanian: Mall i mëmëdheut) and The Pellasgian (Albanian: Pellazgu). Luarasi also worked as a director and teacher of the first Albanian School of the Gjerazi sisters in Korçë and in 1909-1911 he worked as a director of the Negovani school, which had been founded by Papa Kristo Negovani.
Petro Nini Luarasi was one of the delegates of the Monastir Congress that sanctioned the creation of the Albanian alphabet in 1908. For his patriotic deeds, teaching of the Albanian language and social activism he was persecuted both by the Young Turks and the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. He died poisoned by them on 17 August 1911.
He collaborated, published and was editor in chief with the following magazines:
- Nations's Union (Albanian: Bashkimi i kombit) (published in Monastir during the 1909-1910 period), where he was editor-in-chief;
- Drita, (published in Sofia, Bulgaria during the 1907 - 1908 period);
- The Nation, (Albanian: Kombi) published in Boston, in 1908;
- The Freedom (Albanian: Liria) published in Thessaloniki during the 1909-1910 period.
In these journals he published teaching, poetry and publicistic writings. In his political work Excommunication of the Albanian letters (Albanian: Mallkimi i shkronjave shqipe) and The Diffamation of the Albanian (Albanian: Çpërfolja e shqiptarit) (Manastir, 1911), he protected the rights of the Albanian people to their own national culture. He propagated the main ideas of the Albanian National Revival which were those of uniting the Albanian people in their fight for the freedom of Albania, no matter the religious beliefs.
Petro Nini Luarasi has been awarded by the Albanian Government the title People's Teacher of Albania. A high school bears his name in Tirana, Albania. On 13 January 2012 the President of Albania, Bamir Topi decorate Luarasi after death Honor of Nation Order of Albania.
- Articles in Drita, Sofje, 1907–1908, as editor-in-chief of the paper;
- Excommunication of the Albanian letters (Albanian: Mallkimi i shkronjave shqipe) Manastir, 1911;
- The Diffamation of the Albanian (Albanian: Çpërfolja e shqiptarit) Manastir, 1911.
Notes and references
- Jacques, Edwin (November 1994). The Albanians: an ethnic history from prehistoric times to the present. McFarland & Company. pp. 290–291.
- Myzyri, Hysni (1978). The First National Albanian Schools 1887- July 1908. 8 Nëntori. pp. 114 and 137.
- Bociurkiw, Bohdan R.; Strong, John W.; Laux, Jean K. (1975). Religion and atheism in the U.S.S.R. and Eastern Europe. p. 397.
- Islami, Selim; Buda, Aleks; Frashëri, Kristo (1967). Historia e Shqipërisë, Volume 2. p. 274.
- Skendi 1967, Stavro. The Albanian national awakening, 1878-1912. p. 206.
- Redžepagić, Jašar (1970). The Development of Education and of the School System of the Albanian Nation. p. 87.
- Schwandner-Sievers, Stephanie; Fischer, Bernd Jürgen (2002). Albanian identities: myth and history. Indiana University Press. p. 55. ISBN 0-253-21570-6.
- shqiptarortodoks.com "Diffamation of the Albanian and Excommunication of the Albanian letters" Check
|url=value (help) (PDF) (in Tosk Albanian).
- "Gjimnazi "Petro Nini Luarasi"" [Petro Nini Luarasi High School] (in Albanian). Official Website of the High School.
- Presidenti Topi dekoron Petro Nini Luarasin (pas vdekjes) me Urdhrin “Nderi i Kombit”, president.al, 2012-01-13(in Albanian)
- Jacques, Edwin (1995). The Albanians: an ethnic history from prehistoric times to the present. McFarland & Company.
- Lloshi, Xhevat (2008). Rreth Alfabetit te Shqipes [Around the Albanian Alphabet]. Logos.
- City of Erseka official website