Petroleum Authority of Uganda
|Products||Exploration licences, refining licences, transportation licences, marketing licences, investment advice|
The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAOU), also known as the Uganda National Petroleum Authority, is governmental organisation that regulates the petroleum industry in Uganda, the third-largest economy in the East African Community. Its responsibilities include licensing, regulation, supervision of exploration, harvesting, refining, marketing, and disposal of petroleum products in the country. Although owned by the Ugandan government, it is expected to act independently.
The law authorising the creation of PAOU is known as the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013. It was passed by the Ugandan parliament on 7 December 2012 and was assented to by the president of Uganda on 12 March 2013. The law was gazetted on 15 April 2013. PAOU was established once the president named its board of directors and once Uganda's parliament approved the board members.
The headquarters of PAOU is located in Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda.
The chairperson of the board is Jane Mulemwa, a Ugandan chemist and academic. Other members of the board are Reuben Kashambuzi, Immaculate Semanda Nakimera, Peter Lominit, Doreen Kabasindi Wandera, Patrick Nakoko, and Kiryowa Kiwanuka. In June 2016, Ernest Rubondo was appointed as executive director and chief executive officer of PAOU.
- Uganda Oil Refinery
- Economy of Uganda
- Uganda National Oil Company
- Uganda–Kenya Crude Oil Pipeline
- Kenya-Uganda-Rwanda Petroleum Products Pipeline
- Musisi, Frederic (18 September 2015). "Oil Production Licences to be Issued this year - Government". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- Musisi, Frederic (22 June 2016). "Dr Rubondo tipped for Petroleum Authority job". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (2012). "Uganda's Draft Petroleum Law Provides Checks And Balances". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Musoke, Ronald (19 April 2013). "President Museveni signs Oil Law". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Vision, Reporter (17 March 2014). "Oil Proceeds To Transform Agriculture". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Sekanjako, Henry (14 July 2014). "MPs Reject Two Presidential Appointees On Oil Management". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Amos Desmond Wambi (16 September 2015). "Uganda Parliament approves Members of National Board of Petroleum". Kampala: Uganda Oil Newsletter. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Odyek, John (23 February 2016). "National Petroleum Authority seeks to recruit chief executive officer". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 13 July 2016.