Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rohin Venkatesan|
|Produced by||A. Kumar|
|Written by||G. R. Surendarnath|
|Based on||Anando Brahma|
by Mahi V Raghav
|Edited by||Leo John Paul|
Eagle's Eye Production
|11 October 2019|
|Box office||est.₹10 crore|
Petromax is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language comedy horror film directed by Rohin Venkatesan and produced by Passion Studios. The film starring Tamannaah, Prem, Yogi Babu, Munishkanth, Kaali Venkat, Sathyan and TSK. Is a remake of the Telugu film Anando Brahma and it opened to mixed reviews.
The story takes place in a supposed haunted house, owned by a rich NRI named Saravanan (Prem) from Malaysia, who wants to sell it after the "death" of his parents. A bad guy, who runs a liquor shop along with a friend of Saravanan, scares away prospective buyers. Actually, the bungalow is possessed by four friendly spirits, led by Meera (Tamannaah), who have an agenda of their own. Saravanan ropes in four men who are hard up for cash: Senthil (Munishkanth), Thangam (Kaali Venkat), Nandha (Sathyan), and King Kaali (TSK). He challenges the men to live in the "haunted house", and prove that it is "spirit free". The "ghost busters" take up the challenge owing to their desperate condition. Subsequently, a plot twists happens that unites them against a common enemy.
- Tamannaah as Meera
- Prem as Saravanan
- Yogi Babu as Paal Pandi
- Munishkanth as Senthil
- Kaali Venkat as Thangam
- Sathyan as Nandha
- TSK as King Kaali
- K. S. G. Venkatesh as Saravanan's father
- Sreeja Ravi as Kamala, Saravanan's mother
- Mime Gopi as Guru
- Livingston as Paripooranam
- Mahanadi Shankar as Police inspector
- Baby Monika as Nivetha
- Pei Krishnan as Santhanam
- Kavin Jay Babu as Vetri
- Mynaa Nandhini as Shailaja
- Pudhupettai Suresh as Muthusamy
- Aathma Patrick as Kumar
- Abdool as Manohar
- TKS as Doctor
- Sneba as Broker Ganapathy
- Yukta as Young Meera
- Vijaya Paati as Shailaja's grandmother
- Master Jashik as Thangam's son
- Sivaranjini as Thangam's wife
- Pradeep as Buyer
- Sugi as Buyer's wife
- Hareesh as Priest
- Devi as Senthil's sister
- Sree Sathya as Saravanan's wife
- Dharunya Shakti Suresh as Shailaja's sister
- Vaibhav as Himself (Cameo appearance)
The film was shot in 42 working days, and the title was revealed on 18 July 2019. It is a reference to the dialogue "Petromax lightey daan venumaa?" (Do you want only the petromax light?) from the 1984 film Vaidehi Kathirunthal. Leo John Paul and Ghibran, who earlier collaborated with the director's Adhe Kangal film was retained as film editor and music director respectively. Dani Raymond, the co-cinematographer of the film Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada, was selected as the cinematographer, and Vinoth Rajkumar of 96 fame was selected as the art director.
The first look poster of the film was unveiled on 19 July 2019. The second look poster was unveiled by Aishwarya Rajesh on 8 August 2019. The trailer is scheduled to release on 30 September 2019, by director Atlee.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||27 September 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Think Music India|
|Singles from Petromax|
The music is composed by Ghibran, who earlier composed for the film's director earlier film Adhe Kangal. The music rights are secured by Think Music India. A single from the film, "Malarudhu Pudhu Naale", which was written by S. N. Anuradha and sung by Roshini, was released on 27 September 2019.
|1.||"Malarudhu Pudhu Naale"||S. N. Anuradha||Roshini||4:19|
Petromax was released on 11 October 2019. Satellite rights bagged by Vijay TV. It was released on Amazon Prime on 12 November 2019.
Behindwoods rated 2.5/5, stating that "The entertaining humour in the second half makes 'Petromax' enjoyable".Firstpost, rated 2.5/5. stating that "Petromax is more of a time pass comedy caper than a horror film."
- "Rohin's search for a light title leads to Petromax". The Times of India. 18 July 2019. Archived from the original on 18 July 2019. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "Tamannaah's next is horror film titled 'Petromax'". The News Minute. 19 July 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Tamannaah's next with Athe Kangal-fame Rohin Venkatesan titled Petromax; Title look revealed". Cinema Express. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "Here is the first look poster of Petromax". The Times of India. 19 July 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Aishwarya Rajesh unveils the second look of Tamannaah Bhatia's film Petromax; Read details". Pinkvilla. 9 August 2019. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Three ghosts to clash on October 11". Sify. 27 September 2019. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "PETROMAX MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods. 11 October 2019. Retrieved 20 October 2019.
- "Petromax movie review: Tamannaah is reduced to cliches and sidelines in this average horror comedy". Firstpost. 12 October 2019. Retrieved 20 October 2019.