|Assembly||:Rennes (Rennes Plant)
:Gurun, Kedah (Naza)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Large family car (D)|
|Body style||4-door saloon
|Platform||PSA PF3 platform|
|Engine||1.6 L I4 (petrol)
1.8 L I4 (petrol)
2.0 L I4 (petrol)
2.3 L I4 (petrol)
1.6 L I4 (diesel)
2.0 L I4 (diesel)
2.2 L I4 (diesel)
6-speed automatic AM6 (2010-2014)
6-speed automatic EAT6 (2015-)
|Wheelbase||2,817 mm (110.9 in)|
|Length||4,792 mm (188.7 in)|
|Width||1,853 mm (73.0 in)|
|Height||1,456 mm (57.3 in)|
It replaces the Peugeot 407, as well as the larger Peugeot 607, for which no more direct replacement is scheduled. It shares its platform and most engine options with the second-generation Citroën C5: the two cars are produced alongside one another at the company's Rennes Plant, and in Wuhan, China for sales inside China. At the end of 2014, Peugeot launched the new generation of 508, 508 SW and also RXH. The front of the car was redesigned and full led headlights are now available. New engines were also launched, for example, a new engine, front wheel drive appeared for the RXH.
The Peugeot 508 got several international awards like the 'Car of the Year 2011' in Spain (award in 2012), Next Green Car 'Best Large Family car 2011' for ' being spacious and well equipped, also noting that it represented excellent build quality and has the best fuel economy in its class ' (Peugeot 508 1.6 e-HDi 109g CO2/km) or also Auto Zeitung 'Best imported family car 2011' (readers votes).
In 2015 the Peugeot 508 received a facelift that was marked by a vertical grill and the inclusion of the Peugeot lion in the centre of the new grill. In addition 2015 brought a new 180 bhp 2.0-litre diesel option which can also be paired with a Hybrid4 electrical motor system effectively making the Peugeot 508 an AWD vehicle with combined 200 bhp.
The 508 saloon is 4.79 m (189 in) long, while the 508 SW (estate) is 4.81 m (189 in) long. Compared to the Peugeot 407 the 508 has a shorter front overhang and a longer rear passenger compartment.
After a few initial leaked spyshots, the first definitive details and images leaked to the web on 12 July 2010. Peugeot released additional information on 6 September 2010. The 508 was officially launched at the 2010 Paris Motor Show.
It is reported Peugeot expects China to be the largest market for the car, at almost twice of what is expected to be sold in France. It will be the first time for the company to sell more in a country other than France for a model that is available in Europe.
Peugeot has equipped the European-market 508 with its HDI common-rail diesel engines. The 1.6-litre HDI 112 can be fitted with the e-HDI 'micro hybrid' system, including an electronically controlled automatic gearbox, which reduces fuel consumption to 67.2 mpg-imp (4.20 L/100 km; 56.0 mpg-US) with CO2 emissions of 109 g/km. Though this matches the Volkswagen Passat Bluemotion, it features a slightly larger fuel tank which allows it to cover a slightly longer range of 1017 miles.
At least two e-HDI engines are available in 2011 and 2012. The first engines had emission of 114 g/km. The later model reduces emissions to 109 g/km. A modified air intake is the cause.
The 508 range will also include PSA's HYbrid4 diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, which will reduce fuel consumption further, to 74.3 mpg-imp (3.80 L/100 km; 61.9 mpg-US) with CO2 emissions of 99 g/km.
The top GT version comes with a 201 bhp (150 kW; 204 PS), 2.2-litre turbodiesel engine which generates 338 lb·ft (458 N·m) of torque. It comes mated solely to a six-speed torque converter automatic gearbox which offers manual shifts via paddles or a central selector.
The 508 received a five-star (of five) Euro NCAP 2011-rating. The score was:
|Euro NCAP test results|
|Peugeot 508 (2011)|
Sales and production
|Year||Worldwide Production||Worldwide sales||Notes|
|2011||131,658||124,150||Total 508 production reached 138,043 units.|
|2012||116,400||124,150||Total 508 production reached 121,700 units.|
At the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, Peugeot revealed a hybrid-electric crossover estate luxe variant of the 508. To distinguish it from other 508s, the RXH features flared wheel arches, as well as a new color-coded grille with 3 columns of LED daytime running lights on each side. The Hybrid4 powertrain combined a 120 kW 2.0 litre HDi FAP diesel engine with a 28 kW electric motor to lower fuel consumption to 4.2 l/100 km. The RXH was released in early 2012.
The 508 RXH was launched in a single high spec limited edition version, before a full range became available. It is competing with the Audi A4 Allroad, the Volvo XC70, the Passat Alltrack or even more, the BMW 3 series XDrive.
5 by Peugeot
Sources reported that the Peugeot SR1 would go on sale in 2012.
Peugeot 508 has been equipped 1.8 THP engines which is only sold in China. The 1.8 THP engine's power is 150 kW (5500), 280 N.m (1400-4000).
In popular culture
- The ability to open the trunk by pressing the zero in the 508 emblem is a plot point in James Rollins' Sigma Force novel 6.5, The Skeleton Key (2010).
- "PSA Annual Report 2012" (PDF). Car manufacturers. PSA. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Peugeot 508 Camouflage intégral L'Automobile Magazine 21 September 2009
- Bruce Gain (30 March 2011). "China will be biggest market for Peugeot 508". Automotive News.
- "Peugeot powers to success with awards for 508, the iON and RCZ". Derby Telegraph. 26 August 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "New Peugeot 508 awarded number one by the Germans". Continental cars. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Peugeot 508 prices and specifications brochure" (PDF). Peugeot UK. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "The Peugeot 508 Strong design at the heart of emotion" (PDF). peugeot.com. 12 July 2010. Retrieved 1 October 2010.
- "Fleet And Personal Car Reviews-An Unbiased Review of the Peugeot 508 2.0 HDi". carsandracingstuff.com. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Peugeot 508 leaks out well ahead of Paris debut Autoblog 12 July 2010
- "Peugeot 508 sedan and SW for early 2011". 14 September 2010.
- "Peugeot is launching the 508 in China.".
- weenedonpetrol wrote:. "Peugeot 508 1.6 e-HDi Active Review". Autocar. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Peugeot 508 1 6 E Hdi 112 Sr 4dr Review | What Car?". Whatcar.com. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Kindsey says: (30 October 2011). "Peugeot 508 Hybrid 4 road tax free". Speed Encounter. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Euro NCAP results for Peugeot 508" (PDF). euroncap.com. 2011.
- "Engine specs from PSA Peugeot Citroën" (PDF). Creator and designer. PSA Peugeot Citroën. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Memento Mars 2013" (in French). PSA Peugeot Citroën. February 2013: 50. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Peugeot 508 RXH Revealed with Hybrid4 Power And All-wheel-drive". TheMotorReport.com.au. 12 July 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- Peugeot WZX Salon international de l'automobile de Genève — Les premières: Peugeot WZX
- (French)Peugeot SR1, bientôt en série!
-  officical news
- Rollins, James (2010). "What's True, What's Not". The Skeleton Key. p. 2.
|« previous — Peugeot, a marque of Groupe PSA since 1976, car and LCV timeline, 1980s–present|
|Small family car||305||301|
|Large family car||504||405||406||407||508|
|Coupé||406 Coupé||407 Coupé|
|Convertible||205 Cabriolet||206 CC||207 CC|
|306 Cabriolet||307 CC||308 CC|