This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|A version of the FreeBSD operating system|
|Developer||Rubicon Communications, LLC (Netgate)|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2.4.4-RELEASE-p3 (amd64) / May 11, 2019|
|Latest preview||2.5.0 / March 17, 2019|
|Platforms||32-bit (discontinued in 2.4.x); 64-bit Intel / AMD|
|Default user interface||Web|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
|Support by the community|
pfSense is an open source firewall/router computer software distribution based on FreeBSD. It is installed on a physical computer or a virtual machine to make a dedicated firewall/router for a network. It can be configured and upgraded through a web-based interface, and requires no knowledge of the underlying FreeBSD system to manage.
The pfSense project started in 2004 as a fork of the m0n0wall project by Chris Buechler and Scott Ullrich and the first release was in 2006. The name was derived from the fact that the software uses the packet-filtering tool, PF.
On Sept 24, 2018 version 2.4.4 was released.
In November 2017, a World Intellectual Property Organization panel found that Netgate, the copyright holder of pfSense, had been using the domain opnsense.com in bad faith to discredit OPNsense, a competing open source firewall forked from pfSense. It compelled Netgate to transfer the domain to Deciso, the developer of OPNsense.
- "pfSense adopts Apache 2.0 License". Serve The Home (Loyolan Ventures, LLC). 19 June 2016.
- "You should be running a pfSense firewall". InfoWorld. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Miller, Sloan (June 26, 2008). "Configure a professional firewall using pfSense". Free Software Magazine (22).
- Fields, Robert (October 28, 2016). "Happy 10th Anniversary to pfSense Open Source Software". Netgate Blog.
- Mobily, Tony (August 14, 2007). "Interview with Jeff Starkweather, Chris Buechler and Scott Ullrich". Free Software Magazine.
- "pfSense 2.4.4 Release Announcement".
- "WIPO Domain Name Decision: D2017-1828". WIPO. November 12, 2017.
- Mastering pfSense, Second Edition Birmingham, UK: Packt Publishing, 2018. ISBN 978-1788993173. By David Zientra.
- Security: Manage Network Security With pfSense Firewall [Video] Birmingham, UK: Packt Publishing, 2018. ISBN 978-1789538991. By Manuj Aggarwal.