Pflugerville High School
||This article contains embedded lists that may be better presented using prose. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article possibly contains original research. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Pflugerville High School|
|1301 W. Pecan Street
Pflugerville, Texas 78660
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Pflugerville Independent School District|
Pflugerville High School is a public high school located in Pflugerville, Texas that serves 2,108 students from grades 9-12. The principal is Kirk Wrinkle.
List of Sports
- Basketball, Boys
- Basketball, Girls
- Cross Country
- Golf, Fall
- Golf, Spring
- Soccer, Boys
- Soccer, Girls
- Tennis, Fall
- Tennis, Spring
- Track and Field
55-game winning streak
From 1958 until 1962, Pflugerville won 55 consecutive games. At the time, it was both a State and National record. The Streak ended with a 12-6 loss to Holland in the 1962 Bi-District round of the playoffs. In 1964, Pflugerville's national winning streak record was broken by Jefferson City, Missouri.
In 1958 and 1959, PHS fielded Eight-Man football teams and played in the Class B division until 1967, which were not allowed to play to a State Championship. This is why Pflugerville is only credited with 34 wins on the all-time consecutive win chart. However, they are in actually, in 2nd Place as of 2005.
The Panthers compiled 5 District Championships, 2 Bi-District Championships, and 4 Regional Championships.
Through those five seasons, the Panthers scored 2,585 points; allowed just 256 and recorded 31 shutouts of their opponents.
The record for most consecutive victories is now held by De La Salle High School of California with 151 from 1992-2004.
Their streak ended with the first game of the 2004 season against Bellvue High from Washington state.
The Texas State record is now held by Celina, which won 68 games from 1998-2002. Pflugerville still ranks #2 All-Time in the State of Texas.
In the 2009-2010 season, Pflugerville's Cross Country for the first time qualified an entire team for regionals.
The 7,000-capacity Kuempel Stadium the current home of the Panthers in Football, Soccer and Track & Field.
Through the 2004 season, Kuempel Stadium has had a natural grass playing surface. However, on February 5, 2005 voters approved a multimillion-dollar bond package which will include funds to upgrade to the new style of artificial turf. Similar surfaces are used at RRISD Stadium and at Dragon Stadium as well as NFL and College teams throughout the Nation. Construction was finished prior to the start of the 2005 season
A plaque outside the entrance explains the name origin.
Dedicated October 1986
Named for Charles and H. L. "Hub" Kuempel, both graduates of Pflugerville High School, who returned and served the Pflugerville schools for a combined 49 years. In the late '50s and early '60s they coached PHS to 55 consecutive football victories.
At that time this was a State and National Record. This accomplishment still stands as the Texas state record
- In 2007, the Pflugerville High School football team reached the Texas 5A State Championship game but lost to Katy High School from Katy, Texas.
- The TV Series Friday Night Lights was originally filmed using the stadium, and the team took the name of Dillon Panthers after Pflugerville Panthers and used many of the mascot items for the show.
In the news
- On the morning of September 11, 2007, a teenager in Pflugerville was arrested in connection to terrorist threats made against Pflugerville High School that were posted on the website 4chan.
- 1981 to 2008 - Larry Bradley 
- 2008 to present - Kirk Wrinkle 
- Principal Kirk Wrinkle is expected to retire after the end of the 2016-17 school year.
- 1988 - 1998 - Douglas Kincaid 
- Current: O. D. Wilson, Ryan Sirna, Michael Hanrahan
- Nate Minchey - professional baseball player
- Mario Ramos (1994) - professional baseball player
- Micah Lawrence (2008)- U.S. Olympic athlete 
- Zaviar Gooden (2008) - American football player currently playing for the Tennessee Titans.
- Alex Okafor - American football player
- Ikemefuna Enemkpali - NFL football player
- "phs staff".
- Pflugerville's 55 Game Win Streak
- "'Chores, church and football'". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Kuempel Stadium
- Bomb Threat Targets Pflugerville High School[permanent dead link]
- Pflugerville Student Arrested After Posting Bomb Threats
- Police Investigate Bomb Threat at Pflugerville High School Archived 2008-04-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Juvenile Arrested After Internet Bomb Threat[permanent dead link]
- Teen arrested for threatening to blow up school
- Juvenile arrested in Pflugerville H.S. bomb threat Archived 2008-01-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Longtime administrator Honored". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "PISD Board of Trustees Approves Principal Appointments". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Douglas Kincaid Obituary - 1998". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Impact News". Retrieved 10 February 2013.[dead link]