|Pronunciation||International Phonetic Alphabet|
Phạm is the fourth most common Vietnamese family name. But other Asian groups also have Phams.
Phạm is the Sino-Vietnamese reading of the Chinese character 范. The same character is used to write the Chinese surname Fan and the Korean surname Beom (범). As with other East Asian surnames derived from Chinese, it does not necessarily imply familial relations with those sharing the same surname. The surname Phạm means "iron" in Vietnamese.
Although Phạm is not as common a surname among Vietnamese populations as Nguyễn, it remains prevalent. Among the global ethnic Vietnamese population, it is the 5th most common name accounting for 5% of the total 75 million. In the United States, Phạm is the #1455 most common last name comprising about 0.008% of all last names. It is the 951st most common in France with 5,509 persons sharing that name. It is ranked 943rd in the United States Social Security Index.
Notable people with the surname Phạm include:
- Phạm Tuân, first Vietnamese cosmonaut and the first Asian in space
- Frédéric Pham, Vietnamese French mathematician (ref. Brieskorn–Pham manifold)
- Politics and Military
- Phạm Công Trứ, mandarin of the Le and Trinh dynasties
- Phạm Ngũ Lão, prominent general under Trần Hưng Đạo
- Phạm Văn Đồng Prime Minister of North Vietnam (1955–1976) and reunified Vietnam (1976–1987)
- Hung Pham, politician from Alberta, Canada
- Pham Le Bong, foreign minister to Bảo Đại (last emperor of Vietnam)
- Phạm Ngọc Thảo, colonel in the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, communist spy
- Phạm Phú Quốc, Vietnam Air Force pilot in 1962 South Vietnamese Independence Palace bombing
- Phạm Văn Đồng, ARVN general
- Phạm Văn Phú, ARVN general
- Arts and entertainment
- Phạm Duy, composer and songwriter
- Phạm Đình Chương, composer and songwriter
- Linh Dan Pham, French actress
- Hoa Pham, Australian author
- Quang X. Pham, author
- Andrew X. Pham, author
- Phạm Thị Hoài, author
- Phạm Xuân Thái, Vietnamese linguist
- Phạm Xuân Ẩn, Vietnamese journalist and communist spy from South Vietnam
- Phạm Xuân Nguyên, pen name Ngân Xuyên, Vietnamese writer and literary translator
- Khoi Pham, artist for Marvel Comics
- Elyzabeth Pham, Miss Wisconsin USA 1999
- Thierry Pham, professional tennis player
- Religious figures
- Phạm Công Tắc, first twelve disciples of Cao Dai
- Phạm Minh Mẫn Cardinal Priest & Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh City in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Fictional characters
- Pham Nuwen, the protagonist of Vernor Vinge's Hugo Award winning science fiction series, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky
- Pham Tai, protagonist of the 18th century epic poem, Phạm Tải – Ngọc Hoa
- Nina Pham, U.S. nurse who became the first victim in the U.S. to acquire the Ebola virus disease through transmission in the U.S. during the 2014 West African Ebola outbreak
- French surnames
- PBS, POV: The Sweetest Sound: Popularity Index
- "Nina Pham, first person to contract Ebola in US, arrives in Maryland". Eyewitness News (ABC7 KABC Los Angeles). 16 October 2014.