Phantom of the Theatre
|Phantom of the Theatre|
|Mandarin||mó gōng mèi yǐng|
|Directed by||Raymond Yip|
|Music by||Yu Peng|
|Distributed by||Bona Film Group |
Huaxia Film Distribution
Beijing Herun Chaofan Film Distribution
|Box office||US$7.9 million|
Phantom of the Theatre (Chinese: 魔宫魅影; pinyin: Mo Gong Mei Ying) is a 2016 Chinese-Hong Kong thriller film directed by Raymond Yip, starring Ruby Lin, Tony Yang, Simon Yam and Huang Lei. The film depicts a story happened in voluptuous Shanghai in the 1930s, re-presenting the prosperity and charm of Shanghai in its peak time, with distinctive characteristics of that time and irreproachably interpreting the humanity. It was released in China on April 29, 2016.
A haunted theatre, filled with the vengeful spirits of a tragically-trapped performance troupe murdered in a fire 13 years ago, waits for the once-grand palatial playhouse to re-open with a new show… and bring in new victims… The Phantom of the Theatre depicts a tragic love story between hot film star Meng Sifan and young director Gu Weibang, the son of the warlord Gu Mingshan.
- Ruby Lin as Meng Si Fan/Kong jin/Kong Lan
- Tony Yang as Gu Wei Bang
- Simon Yam as Gu Ming Shan
- Jing Gangshan as Kong Shen
- Huang Hung as Fei Li Shi
- Lin Jiang Guo as Tang Shi Rao
- Hu Ming as The Adjutant
- Natalie Meng Yao as Pan Ru Yu
- Wu Xu Dong as Liu Kang
- Patricia Ha as Wei Bang's Mother
- Han Zhi as The Butler
- Zhang Zifeng as Kong Lan (Young)
- Huang Lei as The Theatre Owner
- Luo Tian Jiao as Xiao Mei
- Du Chang Rui as Actress
- Li Jia Xuan as Actress
- Li Ching as Master of Ceremony
- He Yun Wei as Master of Ceremony
- Li Yang as The Thief
- Li Jing
The film cast will be led by Ruby Lin, Raymond Yip, and Manfred Wong. This is the third time for the three co-star in horror films. Phantom of the Theatre was filmed in Shanghai. Shooting of the film started on January 13, 2015 and was wrapped up on March 3, 2015.
The film was moved from its scheduled release date of November 27, 2015, to April 28, 2016.
|Country||Released Date||Alternate title|
|China||29 April 2016||魔宫魅影 (mó gōng mèi yǐng)|
|United States (Limited)||6 May 2016||Phantom of the Theatre|
|Canada (Limited)||6 May 2016||Phantom of the Theatre|
|Vietnam||13 May 2016||Bóng Ma Nhà Hát|
|Taiwan||13 May 2016||魔宫魅影 (mó gōng mèi yǐng)|
The film grossed US$7.85 million on its opening weekend in China.
Music composed by Yu Peng, also credited as YuPeng.
- Zhu ZiRong: Female solo vocalist
- Yu Peng: Male solo vocalist
- Piao Ying, Zhang SuChen: violin solo
- Chen XiaoLong: cello solo
- Chen Kun: flute
- Zhang Xin: oboe
- Hu Yu: bassoon
- Guo ZhanBao, Shi JieLiang: horn
- Liu ZhanYi: trombone
- Mou XianQuan: tuba
- Tu HuaBing: Chinese flute
- Zhang Sheng: Tu HuaBing (job name appears to be an error)
- Xie YuDan: pipa
- Lu YiWen: erhu
- Zhu ZhiRong, Chen Qin, Fu XiaoLi, Wu Jing, Wang GuoFang, Jiang Bin, Zhang ChaoJun, Guo JunYu, Yu Peng: choir group
- Shanghai Piao Ying Chamber Music Group: strings group
- Lu Xiaoxing: music recording engineer
- Yu Peng: music mixing engineer
- Anders Lee: music producer
- Shanghai San You Recording Occupation Studio: music studio
- "Mí Wù" (迷雾; "The Fog") sung by A-Lin
- The Mist
Singer: Eric Juu Lyrics: Wu Di Composer: Yu Peng Arranger/Producer: Yu Peng
"Theme Song" The Mist Singer: A-Lin Lyrics: Wu Di Composer: Yu Peng Producer: Chen Jiangi Line Producer:Brandy Tien Arrangement: Zhang Chaoyu String Writing: Zhang Chaoyu Cello solo: Liu Han Cello: Liu Han, Lin Jiayu Viola: Gan Weipeng, Yang Kaining Violin: Cai Yaoyu, Zhang Yining, Zheng Zihong Recording Engineer: Xu Wei, Chen Yilin Studio: The flyer studio (beijing), Eye studio Mixing Engineer: Lin Zhengzong Mixing studio: Platinum studio Production Executive: Cai Zhizhong Click Music Ltd.
- "The ghost" after Ruby Lin perform triangle to create the magic phantom thriller drama play". dramasvideo.tv. October 14, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "魔宫魅影（2016）". cbooo.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- "The Oriental Phantom of the Opera, from the Bund of Shanghai to Beijing Film Festival". Bjiff.com. April 1, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "魔宫魅影 (2016)". movie.douban.com (in Chinese). douban.com. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- "魔宫魅影". piaofang.maoyan.com (in Chinese). maoyan.com. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- "Well Go USA projects terror with 'Phantom of the Theatre'". cityonfire. April 15, 2016. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- "Ruby Lin plays three roles in 'Phantom of the Theatre'". china.org.cn. April 28, 2016. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- "Horror Film "Phantom of the Theater" to Feature Chinese Elements". cri.cn. April 2, 2016. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- "奇幻惊悚电影《魔宫魅影》11月27日全国公映". xinhuanet. October 12, 2015. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Frater, Patrick (May 1, 2016). "China Box Office: 'Book of Love' Wins May Day Weekend". Variety. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Phantom of the Theatre on IMDb
- Phantom of the Theatre at the Hong Kong Movie DataBase
- Phantom of the Theatre at Variety
- Phantom of the Theatre at Rotten Tomatoes
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Wellgo Entertainment Official Page at wellgousa.com
- Official Weibo at weibo.cn
- Baidu Info at baike.baidu.com