Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA, pronounced /ˈfɑrmə/), founded in 1958, is a trade group representing companies in the pharmaceutical industry in the United States. PhRMA's stated mission is advocacy for public policies that encourage the discovery of new medicines for patients by companies engaged in pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical research. Steve Ubl became PhRMA's chairman in September 2015.
George A. Scangos, CEO of Biogen, is chairman of the PhRMA board. Joaquin Duato, chairman of Johnson & Johnson's pharmaceutical division, is chairman-elect and Joseph Jimenez, CEO of Novartis, is board treasurer.
Previous leadership includes: John J. Castellani, formerly head of the Business Roundtable, a U.S. advocacy and lobbying group and Billy Tauzin, a former Republican congressman from Louisiana.
SMARxT Disposal is a joint program run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the American Pharmacists Association, and PhRMA to encourage consumers to properly dispose of unused medicines to avoid harm to the environment.
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance is a program by PhRMA and its member companies that connects patients in-need with information on low-cost and free prescription medication. PhRMA has in 2017 raised concerns over price increases for generic drugs out of patent by the company Marathon Pharmaceuticals over Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment.
- Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry
- Ethics in pharmaceutical sales
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- Generic Pharmaceutical Association
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations (IFPMA)
- International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA)
- Japan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association
- Pharmaceutical Inspection Convention and Pharmaceutical Inspection Co-operation Scheme
- Pharmaceutical marketing
- SAFE-BioPharma Association (SAFE)
- The Editorial Board (November 27, 2015). "Turn the Volume Down on Drug Ads". New York Times. Retrieved November 27, 2015.
- Stephen J. Ubl to Lead PhRMA as Next President and CEO. PhRMA website. September 25, 2015
- "Biogen CEO George A. Scangos Becomes PhRMA Board Chairman". PhRMA. March 10, 2016.
- N.C. Alzenman and Dan Eggen (July 14, 2010). "Pharmaceutical group shifts tone with new pick for president". The Washington Post.
- Judy Sarasohn (December 16, 2004). "Special Interests: Tauzin to Head Drug Trade Group". The Washington Post. p. A35.
- Julian Pecquet (July 14, 2010). "PhRMA picks new president". 17 (81). The Hill. p. 22.
- "Patient Resources". Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America. Archived from the original on March 19, 2011. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- "Marathon gets the Shkreli treatment from industry after $89K drug dust up". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2017-02-18.