Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2015)|
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA, pronounced /ˈfɑrmə/), founded in 1958, is a trade group representing the pharmaceutical research and biopharmaceutical companies in the United States. PhRMA's stated mission is advocacy for public policies that encourage the discovery of new medicines for patients by pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical research companies. PhRMA's current CEO is John J. Castellani and its chairman is Robert J. Hugin.
On its website, PhRMA states its "mission is winning advocacy for public policies that encourage the discovery of life-saving and life-enhancing new medicines for patients by pharmaceutical / biotechnology research companies. To accomplish this mission, PhRMA is dedicated to achieving in Washington, D.C., the states and the world:
John J. Castellani, formerlyhead of the Business Roundtable, a U.S. advocacy and lobbying group, is president and CEO of PhRMA. He succeededs Billy Tauzin, a former Republican congressman from Louisiana. and continued until he stepped down in 2010.
SMARxT Disposal is a joint program run by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the American Pharmacists Association, and PhRMA to encourage consumers to properly dispose of unused medicines to avoid harm to the environment.
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance is a program by PhRMA and its member companies that connects patients in-need with information on low-cost and free prescription medication.
- Big Pharma: How the World's Biggest Drug Companies Control Illness
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations (IFPMA)
- Pharmaceutical Inspection Convention and Pharmaceutical Inspection Co-operation Scheme
- SAFE-BioPharma Association (SAFE)
- International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA)
- "Mission Statement". PhRMA. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Pharmaceutical group shifts tone with new pick for president, by N.C. Alzenman and Dan Eggen, The Washington Post, 14 July 2010
- Judy Sarasohn Special Interests: Tauzin to Head Drug Trade Group The Washington Post December 16, 2004; Page A35.
- Julian Pecquet. "PhRMA picks new president" The Hill July 14, 2010. Vol. 17 Issue 81 page 22.
- "Patient Resources". Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America. Retrieved 6 April 2011.[dead link]