Phi Beta Delta
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Phi Beta Delta Society|
Long Beach, California
|Motto||World's Shared Knowledge
Scientia Mutua Mundi
|Headquarters||Administration Building, Rooms 150 & 152 California State University, San Bernardino, 5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA, USA
The Phi Beta Delta Society (ΦΒΔ) is an international honor society that was founded at California State University, Long Beach in 1986. It was the first honor society dedicated to recognize scholarly achievement in international education, giving scholarships to deserving students and enhancing knowledge about various cultures around the world. It was established as a national organization in 1987 with 38 chartered chapters, and has grown to become an international organization with over 168 chapters.
The motto of the society is "Scientia Mutua Mundi" (World's Shared Knowledge). Phi Beta Delta (ΦΒΔ) stands for philomatheia, biotremmonia, diapheren — "Love of knowledge, valuing of human life; and achieving excellence".
Nominated students, faculty, and/or staff are invited to become members based on the scholastic achievement (grade point averages) of student members, classes taken or taught, international activities undertaken, and international travel, work or study experience. Members are also committed to international education.
Phi Beta Delta executive offices
Phi Beta Delta Honor Society's current headquarters are housed at California State University, San Bernardino. The contact information for current headquarters is: Phi Beta Delta Headquarters, AD 148 & 150, California State University, San Bernardino. 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407. The current executive director for Phi Beta Delta is Dr. Rueyling Chuang. Dr. Yvonne Captain was the executive director for Phi Beta Delta from 2004 to 2011. Currently Dr. Captain serves as the regent of PBD. Its headquarters was housed at the famous address at 1527 New Hampshire Avenue, lies in a historic district in Washington DC. The previous offices was located in Dupont Circle, Washington DC. and houses the offices of Phi Beta Delta and Policy Studies Organization. This site is also the former home of the son of James A. Garfield, the twentieth President of the United States. Dr. Harry Garfield was the President of Williams College from 1908 to 1934 and a member of President Woodrow Wilsons Kitchen cabinet. The house continues to be a center for international focus. It was rented out in 1920, to Carter Glass, who became Secretary of the Treasury under Wilson and then Senator from Virginia, and who is regarded as a founder of the Federal Reserve System. Garfield also rented the house to the Ecuador Embassy and later to the British Embassy's air attache.
The organization has chapters in over 168 campuses worldwide. International chapters are in Bulgaria, Canada, Mexico, Switzerland, and the United States of America.
Honorary members (partial list)
- Dr. Carole Artigiani, U.S
- Ba Amadou, Ambassador, Embassy of Senagal (Senegal)
- Horace G. Dawson, U.S Ambassador (U.S.)
- Saskia Eijssen, SU / International Student & Scholar Services (The Netherlands)
- Ahmad El Shiref, Central Missouri State University / Peace Studies, (U.S.)
- Leonel Fernández, President Dominican Republic, (Dominican Republic)
- Margarita Cedeño de Fernández, First Lady Dominican Republic, (Dominican Republic)
- Oliver Franklin St. Clair, President International House, (U.S)
- Harriet Mayor Fulbright, former Executive Director of the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities and President of the J. William and Harriet Fulbright Center.
- J. William Fulbright, U.S Senator and founder of international exchange program, Fulbright Program (U.S.)
- Mahamoud Adam Bechir, Ambassador Embassy of Chad (Chad)
- International President-Elect: Dr. Joy Stevenson, 2012–2013
- Dr. Richard Deming from California State University, Fullerton serves as the current international president of the Society, 2011–2012
- Dr. Edward K. Khiwa, 2010–2011
- Dr. Judy Smhra, 2009–2010
- Dr. Monica Freeman, 2007–2008
- Dr. Gene Eggar, 2006–2007
- Dr. Michael Smithee, 2005 - 2006
- Dr. India Dennis, 2004 - 2005
- Dr. Paul J. Rich, 2003 - 2004
- Dr. David E. R. Gay, 2002 - 2003
- Dr. James Fletcher, 2001 - 2002
- Dr. Jack Merchant, 2000–2001
- Dr. Art King, 1999 - 2000
- Dr. Barbara Hartung, 1998 - 1999
- Dr. Yvonne Captain, 1997–1998
- Dr. Earl Ellington, 1996–1997
- Dr. Thomas Knutson, 1995 - 1996
- Dr. Paul Parrish, 1994–1995
- Dr. Mark "Gene" Meadows, 1993–1994
- Dr. Richard Downie, 1987 - 1988
- Dr. John Greisberger, 1988 - 1989
- Dr. Gary Cretser, 1989 - 1990
- Dr. Judy Reinhartz, 1990 - 1991
- Dr. Gregory Trzebiatowski, 1991 - 1992
- Dr. Karen Boatman, 1992 - 1993
The Board members are as follows:
|International President||Richard L. Deming, Ph.D.|
|Past International President||Edward K. Khiwa, Ph.D.|
|International President-Elect||Joy Stevenson, Ph.D.|
|Senior International Vice President||Lay Tuan Tan|
|Senior International Vice President-Elect||Catherine Turrill, Ph.D.|
|Past Senior International Vice President||Ms. Marcy R. L. Glover|
|Regional Vice President, Northeast Region||Prof. Norma George|
|Regional Vice President, Midwest Region||Angelika Kraemer, Ph.D.|
|Regional Vice President, Southwest Region||Tim Huff|
|Regional Vice President, Southeast Region||Ms. Marcy R. L. Glover|
|Regional Vice President, West Region||Paul Amaya|
|Director of Development||Professor Patricia Rickett|
|Director of Awards||Gary A. Cretser, Ph.D.|
|Director of Membership||Guillermo de los Reyes, Ph.D.|
|Director of Publications||Michael Smithee, Ph.D.|
|Accountant||Mr. Brian D. Davis, CPA.|
|Historian/Archivist||Judith A. Smrha, Ph.D.|
|Executive Director & CEO||Rueyling Chuang, Ph.D.|
- "Phi Beta Delta - Publications". The Phi Beta Delta Society.
- "Phi Beta Delta (CSUF) - Homepage". Fullerton.edu. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta Honor Society - About Phi Beta Delta". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
-  Archived March 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Phi Beta Delta-The medalion". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta-Proceedings". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta-52 weekly thoughts". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta-Daily Maxims". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta-HQ happening". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta Honor Society-Know the Board". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved December 5, 2013.