|Founded||January 24, 1906|
|Type||was Professional Fraternity, now Professional Association|
|Mission statement||To grow and connect leaders in education|
|Vision statement||To be the experts in cultivating great educators for tomorrow while continuing to ensure high-quality education for today. Join us in this important work.|
|Headquarters||1820 N Fort Myer Dr., Suite 320|
Arlington, VA 22209
PDK International (also known as PDK or Phi Delta Kappa International) is a US professional organization for educators. Its main office is in Arlington, Virginia. It was founded on January 24, 1906.
PDK is governed by an International Board, who are elected by professional PDK members. The association abides by the Constitution and Bylaws of PDK International.
Phi Delta Kappa began at Indiana University on January 24, 1906 in the formal creation of a chapter under the name Pi Kappa Mu. By 1910, the organization had a total of three chapters. On March 1, 1910, Pi Kappa Mu, Phi Delta Kappa (which had been organized at Columbia University on March 13, 1908) and Nu Rho Beta (which had been organized at University of Missouri on February 23, 1909) amalgamated under the name Phi Delta Kappa. Prior to amalgamation, Phi Delta Kappa had also branched out to include two other chapters.
Phi Delta Kappa was limited to white males at the August 1915 convention. In 1940, Sigma chapter at Ohio State University initiated two non-white members (one Chinese, one Black), and was suspended at the December 1941 convention with charter revocation to occur in May 1942 if the chapter did not remove membership for the two non-whites. A demand for a popular vote of the entire membership let to a membership poll being sent to all members and eventually the deletion of the "white clause" by the membership. On June 2, 1942 announcement was made to all of the chapters of the removal of the race restriction.
Phi Delta Kappan is a professional journal for education, published by Phi Delta Kappa International, since 1915.
- Donovan R. Walling, KAPPAN SPECIAL REPORT: Phi Delta Kappa at the Threshold. Phi Delta Kappan, Vol. 87, No. 05, January 2006, pp.K1-K8.
- "Join PDK". PDK International. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Constitution and Bylaws" (PDF). PDK International. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 14, 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities. Menasha, WI;George Banta Company, Incorporated. 1957. p. 601.
- J. W. Lee (October 1955). "The First Fifty Years". The Phi Delta Kappan. 37 (1): 33–34. JSTOR 20341679.
- Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities. Menasha, WI;George Banta Company, Incorporated. 1957. p. 86.