|Website||Local Chapters Below|
Name and Symbols of the Society
Greek Scholar, Dr. George P. Bristol of Cornell University, suggested that the organization use the Greek word, spelled in its Latin form: PHILOZOI; meaning “love for animals”.
The emblem was designed by the great artist and naturalist Louis Agassiz Fuertes
The purpose of Phi Zeta is to promote, acknowledge, and reward scholarship in the profession of veterinary medicine.
Third-year students ranking in the top 10% of the class and fourth-year students ranking in the top 25% of the class are invited to become members.
Honorary membership may also be bestowed upon interns, residents, faculty, and non-veterinary field related persons who have made significant contributions to veterinary medicine.
Every veterinary school in the United States now has a chapter.
- Alpha, Cornell University, 1925
- Beta, University of Pennsylvania, 1929
- Gamma, Iowa State University, 1931
- Delta, The Ohio State University, 1934
- Epsilon, Auburn University, 1948
- Zeta, Michigan State University, 1950
- Eta, Texas A&M University, 1950
- Theta, Colorado State University, 1950
- Iota, Washington State University, 1952
- Kappa, University of Minnesota, 1952
- Lambda, University of California, 1953
- Mu, University of Illinois, 1953
- Nu, Oklahoma State University, 1958
- Xi, University of Georgia, 1959
- Omicron, Purdue University, 1962
- Pi, University of Missouri, 1965
- Rho, Tuskegee University, 1967
- Sigma, Kansas State University, 1969
- Tau, Louisiana State University, 1977
- Upsilon, University of Florida, 1979
- Phi, University of Tennessee, 1979
- Chi, Virginia-Maryland Regional CVM, 1984
- Psi, North Carolina State University, 1984
- Alpha Alpha, University of Wisconsin, 1987
- Alpha Gamma, Oregon State University, 1987
- Omega, Mississippi State University, 1988
- Alpha Beta, Tufts University, 1991
- Alpha Delta, St. George's University, 2006
- Alpha Epsilon, Western University of Health Sciences, 2006
- Alpha Zeta, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, 2014
- "Phi Zeta :: The honor society of Veterinary Medicine". Ncsu.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Organizations". Vet.cornell.edu. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2013-04-24.