28 October 1971 |
Leigh, Lancashire, England, UK
|As of 14 October 2009|
|Source: Phil Bentham on the RL Project|
Bentham's first pro game was Sheffield Eagles V London Skolars on 22 February 2004. His first Super League game was Wakefield Trinity V Hull on 11 September 2005. He has refereed the 2011 and 2014 Super League Grand Finals.
Carnegie Floodlit Nines
- He refereed Wales v Scotland in 2007.
- He was the video referee in France v England on 24 October 2009 in the 4 Nations.
- He was the Video ref for France v NZ on 31 October 2009 in the 4 Nations.
- He has refereed Italy v Serbia on 8 November 2009.
- He was appointed ref for all matches at the 2010 Atlantic Cup.
- He was referee in the 2011 four nations
- he was referee in the 2013 rugby league World Cup
On 4 May 2012, Bentham was refereeing the Super League clash between Wigan and Hull Kingston Rovers at the DW Stadium live on Sky Sports, when he collided during an off-the-ball incident with Rovers' Shannon McDonnell after 17 minutes, and suffered a fractured tibia. He was given oxygen while being carried off on a stretcher whilst being applauded from the crowds and was taken to the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary in Wigan; touch judge Robert Hicks took over as referee, and Andrew Smith the reserve official took Hicks' place on the line. Wigan went on to win 36-22.
Bentham returned to full on-field duties at the start of 2013 Super League Season.
- "The Rugby Football League". Rfl.uk.com. Retrieved 2010-05-14.[dead link]
- "WEMBLEY COUNTDOWN: Steve Ganson to referee Challenge Cup Final (From Warrington Guardian)". Warringtonguardian.co.uk. 2009-08-25. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Wakefield Super League referee Ben Thaler to take charge at Carnegie Floodlit Nines". Wakefield Express. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Scotland 16-18 Wales". BBC News. 4 November 2007.
- "Rugby League Europe Federation". Rlef.eu.com. 2009-11-08. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Barraclough, Neil (4 May 2012). "Wigan 36 Hull KR 32: Broken leg for ref as Warriors move top". Daily Mail. London.