Phil Costa (American football)
|Born:||July 11, 1987|
Moorestown Township, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||302 lb (137 kg)|
|High school:||Holy Cross (NJ)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Professional football career
Costa was signed by the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent after the 2010 NFL Draft. He began as the fourth string center, with Kyle Kosier and Travis Bright ahead of him, but when Kosier got hurt and Bright struggled, Costa became the primary backup. He impressed the coaching staff and made the opening day 53-man roster. As a rookie, he earned his first career start at left guard in place of the injured Kyle Kosier and Montrae Holland, in the seventh game of the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
He performed well during the 2011 training camp and preseason, before suffering a strained right posterior cruciate ligament on August 24, 2011. After contract restructuring negotiations fell through, five time Pro Bowl center Andre Gurode was cut before the fourth preseason game and Costa became the starting center for the year. Because of his small size for the position, as the season wore on he was exposed and struggled in his blocking assignments against bigger defenders.
In 2012, the Cowboys signed free agents guards Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings to help protect Costa against stronger defensive fronts. Ryan Cook replaced him in the season opener after one series, because he was limited by a back injury he carried from training camp. He returned to play against the Baltimore Ravens and arguably had his best game as a pro, with the Ravens yielding a franchise record 227 rushing yards. In the next game against the Carolina Panthers, he suffered a partially dislocated ankle and was eventually placed on the injured reserve list, after playing only six quarters in the season.
Looking to improve the center position, the Cowboys selected Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft and moved Costa to a backup role during training camp. He was eventually waived in a salary cap move on March 7, 2014.
Costa became engaged to singer, actress, model, reality show personality, and former professional wrestler Brooke Hogan (daughter of professional wrestler Hulk Hogan) on June 29, 2013 in Las Vegas. On November 24, 2013, Hogan called off the engagement.
- Clarence Hill, Jr. (2011-08-25). "Knee injury stalls rise for Cowboys center Costa". Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Cowboys cut center Andre Gurode". ESPN.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Phil Costa healthy, fighting for job". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Cowboys clear salary cap room". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Indianapolis signs free agent center Phil Costa". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- Wells, Mike (April 21, 2014). "Costa's retirement puts Colts in tough spot". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- "Cowboys center Phil Costa gets engaged to Hulk Hogan's daughter Brooke". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Brooke Hogan, Phil Costa reportedly split". USA Today. Retrieved April 21, 2016.