Phil Hall (US writer)
Phil Hall (born 1964) is an American writer and film critic.
Hall is a writer/editor for the online Cinema Crazed and was a contributing editor for the online magazine Film Threat and the author of several film-related books, including The Encyclopedia of Underground Movies: Films from the Fringes of Cinema (2004), Independent Film Distribution (2006), The History of Independent Cinema (2009), The Greatest Bad Movies of All Time (2013), In Search of Lost Films (2016) and The Weirdest Movie Ever Made: The Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film (2018). He has also written for The New York Times, New York Daily News and American Movie Classics Magazine. Hall is a member of the Online Film Critics Society.
Hall is a senior enterprise editor for Westfair Communications’ Westchester and Fairfield County Business Journal, and was an editor and research analyst for the financial site Profit Confidential. He has written for Progress in Lending and he was formerly an editor for two mortgage banking magazines, Secondary Marketing Executive and Servicing Management, and the daily MortgageOrb news site.
Hall is the director of the New England Underground Film Festival, an annual event held in Connecticut. He was the director of the New Haven Underground Film Festival in 2008, and previously programmed the Light+Screen Film Festival in New York. Hall also served as a member of the Governing Committee of the Online Film Critics Society. He is also the host of the SoundCloud podcast The Online Movie Show with Phil Hall.
A 20-minute documentary short by Leszek Drozd titled A Writer Named Phil Hall featured Hall talking about his career in the media, the books he authored, and his advice for young writers who want to get published.
Hall has also appeared as an actor in a number of independently produced films, including the Bikini Bloodbath series of horror-comedies, Rudyard Kipling's Mark of the Beast and the Michael Legge comedy Monochromia.
- Felix Vasquez Jr. (September 12, 2018). "Cinema Crazed's Phil Hall Meets Bigfoot in New Book "The Weirdest Movie Ever Made"". Cinema Crazed. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Patrick Ferrucci, "Head Underground: Taking a look at the real independents," New Haven Register, September 26, 2008
- Joe Meyers (August 29, 2013). "Beloved Hollywood turkeys from 'Mommie Dearest' to 'Plan 9'". Connecticut Post. Archived from the original on July 3, 2009. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Oct. 2013 interview with Phil Hall on Outsight Radio Hours". Archive.org. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Susan Dunne (June 28, 2009). "Film Book's Story is Fully Independent". Hartford Courant. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Ricky Flake (August 20, 2009). "Independent movies, recordings and a birthday present". Biloxi Sun-Herald, Biloxi, MS. Retrieved 2009-09-21.
- Jedd Beaudoin (September 15, 2016). "'In Search of Lost Films' Leaves One Imagining the Possibilities". Pop Matters. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- Joe Meyers (October 15, 2018). "Fairfield writer explores history of 1967 Bigfoot film". Connecticut Post. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Our Members". Online Film Critics Society. Archived from the original on 2014-07-03. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- Georgette Gouveia (December 10, 2019). "Author, author!". WAG Magazine. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Phil Hall, B.A." Profit Confidential. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- Anthony Garritano (September 2013). "Color Commentary" (PDF). Today’s Mortgage Executive Magazine. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Amanda Cuda, "Fairfield resident releases ‘Moby Dick’ radio play as an e-book," Connecticut Post, July 20, 2020
- Susan Dunne (October 2, 2012). "Underground Film Festival At La Paloma" (PDF). Hartford Courant. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Mike Chaiken (September 25, 2008). "Deep in the Celluloid Underground". Bristol Observer, Bristol, CT. Retrieved 2009-09-21.
- David Sterritt (May 28, 2004). "Online Film Critics Get Mixed Reviews". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Fairfield Podcaster Dives Into Second Season Of Cinema-Focused Program". Ridgefield Daily Voice. November 29, 2017. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Wendy Mitchell (April 23, 2004). "Sundance Grants; AIVF Change; Gen Art Winners; Acquisitions News & More". IndieWire. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Betty Jo Tucker, "On Being a Writer ", ReelTalk Movie Reviews
- Film Threat coverage
- Don Sumner (August 6, 2012). "Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash (2008) Review". Best Horror Movies. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Duane L. Martin (September 4, 2013). "Film Reviews: Monochromia". Rogue Cinema. Retrieved 2013-09-19.