Phil Hall (US writer)
Phil Hall (born 1964) is an American writer and film critic.
Hall is a contributing editor for the online magazine Film Threat and the author of several film-related books, including The Encyclopedia of Underground Movies: Films from the Fringes of Cinema (2004), Independent Film Distribution (2006), The History of Independent Cinema (2009), The Greatest Bad Movies of All Time (2013), and In Search of Lost Films (2016). He has also written for The New York Times, New York Daily News and American Movie Classics Magazine. Hall is a member of the Online Film Critics Society.
Hall is also an editor and research analyst for the financial site Profit Confidential. He has written for Progress in Lending and he was formerly an editor for two mortgage banking magazines, Secondary Marketing Executive and Servicing Management, and the daily MortgageOrb news site.
Hall is the director of the New England Underground Film Festival, an annual event held in Connecticut. He was the director of the New Haven Underground Film Festival in 2008, and previously programmed the Light+Screen Film Festival in New York. Hall also served as a member of the Governing Committee of the Online Film Critics Society.
A 20-minute documentary short by Leszek Drozd titled A Writer Named Phil Hall featured Hall talking about his career in the media, the books he authored, and his advice for young writers who want to get published.
Hall has also appeared as an actor in a number of independently produced films, including the Bikini Bloodbath series of horror-comedies, Rudyard Kipling's Mark of the Beast and the Michael Legge comedy Monochromia.
- Patrick Ferrucci, "Head Underground: Taking a look at the real independents," New Haven Register, September 26, 2008
- Joe Meyers (August 29, 2013). "Beloved Hollywood turkeys from 'Mommie Dearest' to 'Plan 9'". Connecticut Post. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Oct. 2013 interview with Phil Hall on Outsight Radio Hours". Archive.org. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Susan Dunne (June 28, 2009). ; "Film Book's Story is Fully Independent" Check
|url=value (help). Hartford Courant. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Ricky Flake (August 20, 2009). "Independent movies, recordings and a birthday present". Biloxi Sun-Herald, Biloxi, MS. Retrieved 2009-09-21.
- Jedd Beaudoin (September 15, 2016). "'In Search of Lost Films' Leaves One Imagining the Possibilities". Pop Matters. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "Our Members". Online Film Critics Society. Archived from the original on 2014-07-03. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "Phil Hall, B.A." Profit Confidential. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- Anthony Garritano (September 2013). "Color Commentary" (PDF). Today’s Mortgage Executive Magazine. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Susan Dunne (October 2, 2012). ; "Underground Film Festival At La Paloma" Check
|url=value (help). Hartford Courant. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Mike Chaiken (September 25, 2008). "Deep in the Celluloid Underground". Bristol Observer, Bristol, CT. Retrieved 2009-09-21.
- David Sterritt (May 28, 2004). "Online Film Critics Get Mixed Reviews". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Wendy Mitchell (April 23, 2004). "Sundance Grants; AIVF Change; Gen Art Winners; Acquisitions News & More". IndieWire. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Betty Jo Tucker, "On Being a Writer ", ReelTalk Movie Reviews
- Film Threat coverage
- Don Sumner (August 6, 2012). "Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash (2008) Review". Best Horror Movies. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Duane L. Martin (September 4, 2013). "Film Reviews: Monochromia". Rogue Cinema. Retrieved 2013-09-19.