February 25, 1987 |
|April 14, 2013, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through July 8, 2014)
|Earned run average||7.27|
Phillip Andrew Irwin (born February 25, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has pitched in Major League Baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Texas Rangers and in Korea Baseball Organization for the KT Wiz.
Irwin attended Christian Brothers High School in Memphis, Tennessee. At Christian Brothers, Irwin was on the baseball and bowling teams, winning state championships in bowling in 2003 and 2004 and a state championship in baseball in 2005. Irwin attended the University of Mississippi.
Irwin was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 21st Round of the 2009 Major League Baseball draft. In 2009, Irwin pitched for the State College Spikes. In 2010, he pitched for the West Virginia Power. In 2011, he pitched for the Bradenton Marauders and the Altoona Curve. In 2012, he pitched for Bradenton, Altoona and the Indianapolis Indians. In November 2012, Irwin was added to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
Irwin had ulnar nerve transposition surgery on his right-elbow on July 3, 2013, shortly after returning to the AAA Indians. He subsequently pitched for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League during October and November 2013, making four appearances totaling 11 2/3 innings pitched while striking out 11.
On May 22, 2014, the Pirates designated Irwin for assignment.
On May 28, 2014, Irwin was claimed off waivers by the Texas Rangers, and optioned to the Triple-A Round Rock Express. He was recalled by the Rangers on July 8 to start that night's game against the Houston Astros. He was released by the Rangers on August 29, 2014.
Irwin signed a contract with the KT Wiz of the Korean Professional Baseball League for the 2015 season worth $550,000. The Wiz released Irwin in June 2015, after he pitched to a 1–7 record with a 8.68 earned run average in 12 games.
Second stint with Rangers
Irwin signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers on July 31, 2015.
- "Phillip Irwin Profile – OLEMISSSPORTS.COM – OLE MISS Official Athletic Site". Olemisssports.Com.
- "Pirates set 40-man roster". November 20, 2012.
- Cotton, Gary (April 13, 2013). "MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday". Pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Singer, Tom (April 14, 2013). "MLB.com Gameday | pirates.com: Gameday". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "Pirates Activate Jose Tabata; Phil Irwin Has Surgery". Pirates Prospects. July 3, 2013. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Singer, Tom (November 7, 2013). "AFL a chance for Irwin to get on Bucs' radar". MLB.com. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Adams, Steve (May 22, 2014). "Pirates Designate Phil Irwin For Assignment". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "Rangers activate Saunders, claim Irwin". Yahoo! Sports. Associated Press. May 28, 2014. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Rangers place Adduci on concussion list". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 29, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Ex-Texas Rangers land in Korea". Texas Rangers Blog.
- "It's anybody's ball game at season's halfway point". joins.com.