This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lester in 2014
|Born||Philip Michael Lester
30 January 1987 
Rawtenstall, Rossendale, Lancashire, England,
|Total views||436+ million|
|Associated acts||Daniel Howell|
Philip Michael "Phil" Lester (born 30 January 1987) is a British YouTuber, vlogger and former radio personality from Rawtenstall, Lancashire. He is best known for his YouTube channel AmazingPhil. Together with frequent collaborator Daniel Howell, Lester presented Sunday night entertainment show Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1 from January 2013 until August 2014, and from September 2014 to April 2016 the duo were monthly hosts on the station's Internet Takeover slot.
Lester was born and raised in Rawtenstall, Lancashire. Along with older brother Martyn, he attended Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Linguistics and later a Master of Arts in Video Postproduction with Specialisation in Visual Effects, both from the University of York.
Lester has lived with best friend and fellow YouTuber Daniel Howell since August 2011, first in Manchester before moving to London together in July 2012. They have shared a total of three homes and frequently appear in each other's videos.
At age 19 on 27 March 2006, Lester posted his first YouTube vlog titled "Phil's Video Blog" on his main YouTube channel, AmazingPhil. Since then he has posted over 200 videos on his channel and as of May 2017 has over 4 million subscribers and 459 million video views. He reached 1 million YouTube subscribers on 6 July 2013, 2 million on 29 August 2014 and 3 million on 12 October 2015.
Lester also has a second channel, LessAmazingPhil, which has over 1 million subscribers and 31 million views, as of May 2017. He currently broadcasts weekly hour-long live shows on this channel, as well as on YouNow.
On 12 September 2014, Lester and Howell posted the first video on their new gaming YouTube channel, DanandPhilGAMES. On 8 March 2015 the channel hit 1 million subscribers. It was officially the fastest growing channel on YouTube. DanAndPhilGAMES currently has 3 million subscribers.
On 1 April 2015, Lester and Howell launched a spin-off crafts-based channel, DanAndPhilCRAFTS, as an April Fools joke. It featured a single video of them creating square snowflakes out of paper, with an amateur editing style and humour throughout. It reached over 154,000 subscribers and 500,000 total video views in one week. Additional videos were uploaded on April Fool's Day in 2016 and 2017.
The Super Amazing Project
In 2011, Lester and Howell created a collaborative YouTube channel through network My Damn Channel. Titled The Super Amazing Project, it featured the duo discussing and investigating paranormal events. Segments included "Viewers Spooky Happenings", where the audience of the show would send in "scary" items for the video bloggers to react to, and "In The News This Week", where the duo recapped recent light-hearted news items and viral videos. In October 2014, it was announced that as of that month Lester and Howell would not carry on working on The Super Amazing Project in order to concentrate on their Radio 1 show. Lester and Howell later announced that the Super Amazing Project would be hosted by new presenters, found by channel owners My Damn Channel.
In November 2012, the BBC announced that from January 2013 onwards, Lester and Howell would present the Sunday night entertainment and request show for national UK radio station BBC Radio 1. The duo had occasionally worked with Radio 1 before, making videos for the station's YouTube channel and presenting two Christmas broadcasts.
The show was designed to be an interactive, audio-visual broadcast involving music videos made by viewers, physical challenges performed on air by Howell and Lester, and song requests from listeners. It was streamed in video, live on the BBC Radio 1 website, and accessible worldwide.
In August 2014, it was announced that the last Dan and Phil show would be broadcast on 24 August, with the duo moving to a different show on Monday nights, featuring other popular video bloggers. This new show was titled The Internet Takeover, and featured Lester alongside Howell live on the first Monday of every month, before coming to an end in April 2016.
The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire and The Amazing Tour Is Not on Fire
On 26 March 2015, Lester and Howell announced via a trailer on Howell's channel that they had co-written a book titled The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire (TABINOF). It was released in the UK on 8 October 2015 and worldwide on 15 October 2015, published by Ebury Press and Random House Children's Books. The book topped the General Hardbacks Sunday Times Bestsellers list having sold 26,745 copies in the UK in the first week of its release. It also became a #1 New York Times Bestseller in the young adult hardcover list.
In the same trailer the pair announced their theatrical stage show The Amazing Tour Is Not on Fire (TATINOF) which travelled around the UK during October and November 2015, ending at the London Palladium.
On 22 April 2016 they are took the tour to the US which began at Playlist Live in Orlando, Florida and ended on 24 June at the Dolby in Hollywood, CA. It was the largest tour ever by YouTube creators. They later toured Australia in August 2016 starting in Perth and ending in Brisbane, and finished with a quick tour of Europe.
YouTube Red Originals and Dan and Phil Go Outside
On 24 June 2016 they announced The Amazing Tour Is Not on Fire is to be released later in the year as a YouTube Originals film along with a making of documentary. They are the first British YouTube creators to release content on the YouTube Red platform.
Alongside this in November 2016 they released a photobook named Dan and Phil Go Outside which includes a personal collection of candid photos and insightful stories from the tour
In 2007, Lester appeared as a contestant on The Weakest Link, making it to the final round. He also played the role of Tim in 2009 film Faintheart and appeared in a Confused.com advertisement later that year. At the time of making the advert, he had around 27,000 subscribers.
Lester was interviewed with other internet entertainers on Channel 4 News in October 2012 about the increased popularity of YouTube and video blogging as a profession.
In 2013 Lester and Howell appeared on Friday Download, a BAFTA award winning CBBC TV show.
In 2015, Lester and Howell had voice cameo appearances in the UK cinema release of Walt Disney Animation Studios' Big Hero 6 as Technician 1 & 2. However, this version is not in the UK home release. That same year, the duo also guest-starred in fellow YouTuber PJ Liguori's online series Oscar's Hotel for Fantastical Creatures, voicing anthropomorphic food items Brie and Rash.
Awards and nominations
|2013||Sony Golden Headphones Award||Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1||Won|
|2014||Teen Choice Award - Web Collaboration||The Photo Booth Challenge||Nominated|
|2016||British Online Creator Awards - Creator of the Year||Phil Lester||Won|
|British Online Creator Awards - Collaboration of the Year||(With Dan Howell) Phil is not on fire 7||Won|
|British Online Creator Awards - Film of the Year||(With Dan Howell) The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire - Official Movie||Won|
|British Online Creator Awards - Film of the Year||(With Dan Howell) Dan & Phil's Story of TATINOF||Nominated|
|British Online Creator Awards - Collaboration of the Year||(With Hazel Hayes) Tipsy Talk with AmazingPhil||Nominated|
|British Online Creator Awards - Travel Video of the Year||A Day in the Life of Dan and Phil in AUSTRALIA!||Nominated|
- "Twitter / AmazingPhil: Awr so many Happy Birthday's". Twitter.com. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "Draw My Life / AmazingPhil". YouTube. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- Howell, Dan & Lester, Phil (December 8, 2015) [1st pub. 2015]. The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire. Ebury Publishing. pp. 32–33. ISBN 9781473528079.
- "Ex-students from Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School celebrate a century of education". Lancashire Telegraph. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "York student stars in confused.com advert". Nouse. 20 January 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- Dan Howell (11 August 2011). HOT BOYS on Teen Cribz (video) (YouTube). Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- Lester, Phil. "@hi_jimmy we move next week! Yes we should :D you can teach me what an oyster card is". Twitter. Phil Lester. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Phil Lester (25 April 2017). We're Moving Out (video) (YouTube). Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- Phil Lester (27 March 2006). Phil's Video Blog - 27th March 2006 (video) (YouTube). Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "AmazingPhil". YouTube. 7 February 2006. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Lester, Phil. "Woke up to 2000,000 subscribers!!! THANK YOU!". Twitter. Phil Lester. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Lester, Phil. "Phil Lester on Twitter". Twitter. Phil Lester. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "LessAmazingPhil - About". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Phil and Dan love Stickaid!. YouTube. 4 September 2010.
- "Anatomy of a YouTuber". YouTube. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Dan Howell [@danisnotonfire] (8 March 2015). "DanAndPhilGAMES has just hit 1,000,000 subscribers! www.youtube.com/user/DanAndPhilGAMES ... this is awesome thank you to everybody enjoying our videos" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "SITC 2015". Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- DanAndPhilGAMES. YouTube. Retrieved 20 Nov 2017.
- "DanAndPhilCRAFTS". Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- door The Super Amazing Project (26 September 2011). "The Super Amazing Project". YouTube. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Howell, Dan (1 October 2014). "Danisnotonfire on Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Phil Lester [@AmazingPhil] (1 October 2014). "Saying farewell to The Super Amazing Project: www.facebook.com/danisnotonfire/posts/10152427898698481 … whenever I see a dog with red eyes I will remember you. 👻" (Tweet). Retrieved 27 August 2015 – via Twitter.
- "Radio Times". Radio Times. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "BBC Radio 1". YouTube. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Radio 1 Greg James – 27/02/2013". BBC. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Cooper, Ben. "New youth presenters for Radio 1". BBC. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "BBC - Radio 1 announces new student radio curated playlist show - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire – Reveal Trailer. YouTube. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Lester, Phil; Howell, Dan (13 October 2015). The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire. Random House Children's Books. ISBN 9781101939840. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "dan hOGREwell on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Phil Lester on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Best Sellers - The New York Times". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Dan & Phil - The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire". danandphiltour.com. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- VidCon (2016-06-24), YouTube @ VidCon: Susan Wojcicki Keynote, retrieved 2016-08-03
- "Dan Howell". 2016-08-03.
- "WILL DAN AND PHIL SURVIVE AUSTRALIA?". YouTube.
- "TATINOF Europe". Twitter.
- "Dan Howell". 2016-08-03.
- "Dan & Phil Go Outside - The Book - Preorder Now". www.danandphilgooutside.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Howell, Daniel. "Daniel Howell on Twitter". Twitter. Daniel Howell. Retrieved 12 Nov 2017.
- Lester, Phil. "Phil Lester on Twitter". Twitter. Phil Lester. Retrieved 12 Nov 2017.
- Daniel Ashby (9 November 2007). "Student star to appear on Weakest Link". The Yorker. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Phil Lester". IMDb. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "York student stars in confused.com advert". Nouse. 20 January 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Katie Razzall (20 October 2012). "The rise of the vloggers – Channel 4 News". Channel4.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- friday download with dan & phil - one. YouTube. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Dan & Phil at the BRITs | BRIT Awards 2014". BRIT Awards. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "UK cinema release of Big Hero 6". Disney UK. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "The Technicians". Disney. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "New Oscar's Hotel Characters Announced at Summer In The City 2015". TenEighty Magazine. 16 August 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Dan Howell on Twitter". Twitter. November 30, 2016. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- "AmazingPhil v DanIsNotOnFire: Cadbury World Record Coin Stacking". YouTube. Cadbury. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Sony Radio Academy Awards 2013: John Humphrys and Five Live winners". Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "2014 Teen Choice Awards - News". 2014-10-07. Archived from the original on 7 October 2014. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- @BONCASawards (22 November 2016). "Congratulations to @danisnotonfire and @AmazingPhil on their incredible #BONCAS success!" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- @BONCASawards (29 October 2016). "AND THE JURY NOMINEES FOR FILM OF THE YEAR ARE IN! 🎬 @KSIOlajidebt @Caspar_Lee @danisnotonfire @AmazingPhil @bertieglbrt @midnightbeastuk" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- @BONCASawards (18 November 2016). "And here are the nominations for Collaboration of the Year! #BONCAS" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- @BONCASawards (29 October 2016). "First up - TRAVEL VIDEO OF THE YEAR ✈️ @EvanEdinger @AmazingPhil @funforlouis @niomismart @DougArmstrong" (Tweet). Retrieved 22 November 2016 – via Twitter.