Phil Sgrosso at Elbriot 2014
|Birth name||Phillip Joseph Sgrosso|
|Born||September 16, 1987|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, guitarist|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, bass guitar|
Phil Sgrosso (born September 16, 1985) is an American musician, best known as the former rhythm guitarist of the American metalcore band As I Lay Dying, former rhythm guitarist of the band Wovenwar and touring lead guitarist for Saosin and Nails. Sgrosso has a side-project called Poison Headache.
Joining As I Lay Dying at the age of 17, Sgrosso has honed his creative talents as one of the songwriters on 2005’s Shadows Are Security. His work with the band extends from solely instrumentation, with producing credits on the bands latter releases.
Throughout his tenure with As I Lay Dying, the band was named “Artist of the Year” at the San Diego Music Awards in 2005, 2007, and 2008, and was nominated for a Grammy Award for the song "Nothing Left" in 2008. Sgrosso received the "Ultimate Metal God" award from MTV2 in 2007. Through six studio albums and one split release, As I Lay Dying sold more than 1,000,000 albums worldwide, with their DVD, This Is Who We Are, being Certified Gold within one month of its release. As I Lay Dying’s sixth album, Awakened, was released on September 25, 2012 to high critical acclaim.
Following the incarceration of As I Lay Dying vocalist Tim Lambesis in 2013, the remaining members of the band formed Wovenwar with Oh, Sleeper guitarist Shane Blay. They released their debut album, Wovenwar, in 2014 via Metal Blade Records.
While touring on the Mayhem Festival in 2012, Sgrosso pulled double-duty performing with As I Lay Dying and Slipknot, filling in for Jim Root on the first leg of the run. Beginning in 2016, he became a permanent fixture to Saosin's touring lineup, taking over after Justin Shekoski's departure. Sgrosso is also a touring guitar player for American powerviolence band Nails. Sgrosso also has a side-project called Poison Headache with him playing guitars, bass, and vocals, Andy Kutka (formerly of Internal Affairs) on vocals and guitar and Kyle Rosa (formerly of Thieves and Liars) on drums and they are signed to Metal Blade Records.
As I Lay Dying
- Shadows Are Security (2005)
- A Long March: The First Recordings (2006)
- An Ocean Between Us (2007)
- The Powerless Rise (2010)
- Decas (2011)
- Awakened (2012)
- Poison Headache (2016)
- Teitelman, Bram (May 3, 2016). "Poison Headache Name Mystery Member, Debut New Song". Metal Insider. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- "Charvel® Artists: Phil Sgrosso". Charvel® Guitars. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "There Are None Higher, Ultimate Metal God: As I Lay Dying". MTV. December 22, 2007. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "As I Lay Dying: This Is Who We Are DVD details revealed". Blabbermouth.net. February 26, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "EVH® Artists: Phil Sgrosso / As I Lay Dying". EVH® Brand Guitars, Amplifiers, and Musical Instruments. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Jamming out with Slipknot on Mayhem". Facebook. Phil Sgrosso. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Saosin on Instagram". Saosin on Instagram. Saosin. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Fun first show last night with Nails". Facebook. Phil Sgrosso. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- Sanford, Jay Allen (September 21, 2016). "Poison Headache's feel-good Phil". San Diego Reader. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
|This article about an American musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|