||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Simon speaking at PostalVision 2020 in 2012.
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University, Cornell University|
|Occupation||Author, journalist, public speaker, and professor|
Simon started his career as human resource consultant in 1997 at Capital One for a year, and at Merck & Co. for two years. After two more years as application consultant for Lawson Software he started his own consultancy firm philsimon.com.
He has written seven management books, most recently Message Not Received: Why Business Communication Is Broken and How to Fix It. In addition, he served as editor for the 2011 book, 101 Lightbulb Moments in Data Management: Tales from the Data Roundtable. In May 2016, SImon announced that he had accepted a position as a full-time faculty member at the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University.
In February 2016, Simon received a 2015 Axiom award for Message Not Received: Why Business Communication Is Broken and How to Fix It in the category of networking / communication. In 2012, he received a 2011 Axiom best business technology book award for The Age of the Platform: How Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Have Redefined Business.
Simon announced in April 2012 that The Age of the Platform: How Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Have Redefined Business would be translated into Korean in late 2012.
Simon believes that the platform represents a fundamentally new business model—the most important one of the 21st century. Specifically, APIs and SDKs are enabling developers to build mobile apps and web services faster and on a much greater scale than ever. The most successful companies of the day—e.g., Amazon.com, Apple Inc., Facebook, and Google—no longer focus on one line of business. Rather, they quickly and frequently add adjacent offerings, products, and services—i.e., planks.
Through increasingly powerful ecosystems, companies today are externalizing a great deal of their innovation and evolving at rapid speeds. What's more, emerging platforms like Twitter, Kickstarter, Force.com, WordPress, Udemy, and scores of others are redefining business in tectonic ways that we have only begun to understand.
Simon's belief in the power of platforms is supported by the extensive economic research of people like Marshall Van Alstyne.
- Simon, Phil (2010). Why New Systems Fail. Cengage. p. 354. ISBN 9781435456440.
- Simon, Phil (2010). The Next Wave of Technologies. John Wiley & Sons. p. 432. ISBN 978-0-470-58750-8.
- Simon, Phil (2010). The New Small. Motion Publishing. p. 316. ISBN 9780982930236.
- Simon, Phil (2011). The Age of the Platform: How Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Have Redefined Business. Motion Publishing. p. 312. ISBN 9780982930250.
- Simon, Phil (2013). Too Big to Ignore: The Business Case for Big Data. John Wiley & Sons. p. 250. ISBN 9781118638170.
- Simon, Phil (2014). The Visual Organization: Data Visualization, Big Data, and the Quest for Better Decisions. John Wiley & Sons. p. 240. ISBN 9781118794388.
- Simon, Phil (2015). Message Not Received: Why Business Communication Is Broken and How to Fix It. John Wiley & Sons. p. 250. ISBN 9781119017035.
- Simon, Phil. "Phil Simon home page".
- Simon, Phil. Message Not Received: Why Business Communication Is Broken and How to Fix It. Wiley. p. 272. ISBN 1119017033.
- Simon, Phil (2011). 101 Lightbulb Moments in Data Management: Tales from the Data Roundtable. Motion Publishing. p. 232. ISBN 0982930291.
- Simon, Phil. "Professor Simon". Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- Ott, Adrian. "The Age Of The Platform". Retrieved 12 Dec 2011.
- "Tech Talk Podcast: Great Big Privacy Buttons". Podcast - New York Times. 23 November 2011.
- "TechTalk - New York Times". The New York Times.
- "TechTalk Podcast". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- Nusca, Andrew. "For online businesses, how much downtime is acceptable?". CNN. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "All About the Platform". Inc. Authors.
- Simon, Phil. "Harvard Business Review Articles - Phil Simon". Harvard Business Review. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Simon, Phil. "Phil Simon's Huffington Post Articles". Huffington Post. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Announcing the 2016 Axiom Business Book Awards Results". Independent Publisher.
- "Announcing Results of the 5th Annual Axiom Business Book Awards". Independent Publisher.
- Simon, Phil. "Korean edition - The Age of the Platform".
- "The Age of the Platform".