This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
|Occupation||Journalist, photographer, researcher, television host|
|Family||Eve Torres (sister)|
Phil Torres (born March 17, 1986) is an American scientist, journalist, television host, photographer, and explorer. After leading conservation projects in the Amazon rainforest for two years, he is now the lead host of the television show TechKnow on Al Jazeera America. His science research and reporting have sent him around the world, including a submarine to the bottom of the ocean, a USCG ice breaker into the Arctic, and an expedition into Mongolia.
Early life and education
He is a graduate of Cornell University, located in Ithaca, New York, with degrees in entomology and biology. Torres is also working on a PhD at Rice University, located in Houston, Texas, working on tropical conservation biology.
Torres helped to discover over 40 new species by the age of 20 during scientific expeditions in Mongolia and Venezuela. One of his most-publicized discoveries was a spider that constructs a fake, larger spider in its web using silk, leaves, and dead insects. This is the only known animal (besides humans) that creates another animal from scratch and was Wired Science's number-two story of the year in 2012.
Torres resides in Los Angeles, California. He speaks English and Spanish, which he sometimes uses on TV when he must translate information from local researchers in Latin American countries.
- List of Al Jazeera presenters
- List of Cornell University alumni
- List of people from Denver
- List of photographers
- List of Rice University people
- Staff (undated). "Phil Torres". therevscience.com. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Torres, Eve (October 24, 2013). "A Few Updates About My Brother, Phil Torres!". Eve Torres. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- "Eve Torres Gracie on Twitter: "Nicaraguan, German, & Swedish. RT @LovelyMs_M: @EveMarieTorres what's you nationality?"". Eve Torres Gracie (verified Twitter account).