|Larry P. Arnn, Ph.D.|
(FYE December 2011)
The Philadelphia Society is a membership organization the purpose of which is "to sponsor the interchange of ideas through discussion and writing, in the interest of deepening the intellectual foundation of a free and ordered society, and of broadening the understanding of its basic principles and traditions". The membership of the Society tends to be composed of persons holding conservative or libertarian political views, and many of those associated with the Society have exercised considerable influence over the development of the conservative movement in the United States.
It was founded in 1964 by Donald Lipsett in conjunction with Bill Buckley, Milton Friedman, Frank Meyer, and Ed Feulner, and the former Presidents of the Society include Henry Regnery, Edwin J. Feulner, Russell Kirk, Mel Bradford, Forrest McDonald, T. Kenneth Cribb, M. Stanton Evans, Ellis Sandoz, Edwin Meese, Claes G. Ryn, Midge Decter, Roger Ream, Steven F. Hayward, Lee Edwards, William F. Buckley, and George H. Nash.
Notable speakers at past meetings of the Society have included Larry Arnhart, Andrew Bacevich, Wendell Berry, Robert Bork, Mel Bradford, Warren T. Brookes, William F. Buckley, Vladimir Bukovsky, Ronald Coase, T. Kenneth Cribb, Midge Decter, M. Stanton Evans, Edwin J. Feulner, Milton Friedman, George Gilder, Victor Davis Hanson, William Hague, S. I. Hayakawa, Friedrich von Hayek, Henry Hazlitt, W.H. Hutt, Herman Kahn, Russell Kirk, Irving Kristol, Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn, Forrest McDonald, Edwin Meese, Frank Meyer, Charles Murray, Robert Nisbet, Michael Novak, Richard Pipes, Norman Podhoretz, Henry Regnery, William A. Rusher, Paul Ryan, Ellis Sandoz, Shelby Steele, George J. Stigler, Terry Teachout, Edward H. Teller, and Eric Voegelin.
- "Quickview data". GuideStar.
- Philadelphia Society: Mission Archived 2012-06-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ebenstein, Alan O. ("Lanny"). Milton Friedman: A Biography. p. 166.
- Philadelphia Society: A Tribute to Don Lipsett
- Edwards, Lee. Educating for Liberty: The First Half-Century of the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. p. 106.
- Edwards, Lee. Leading the Way: The Story of Ed Feulner and the Heritage Foundation.
- Bridges, Linda, "Philadelphia Society at 50", National Review Online (July 2, 2014)
- Friedman, Milton; Friedman, Rose D. (1998). Two Lucky People. The University of Chicago Press. p. 337. ISBN 0-226-26414-9.
- Mirowski, Philip; Plehwe, Dieter (2009). The Road from Mont Pelerin. Harvard University Press. p. 374. ISBN 978-0-674-03318-4.
- Philadelphia Society: Presidents Archived 2010-02-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- Philadelphia Society: About
- Official website
- Organizational Profile – National Center for Charitable Statistics (Urban Institute)