|Owner(s)||Philadelphia Weekly Holdings, Ltd.|
|Headquarters||1520 Locust Street |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Philadelphia Weekly (PW) is an alternative newspaper in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, published every Wednesday. The paper was founded in 1971 as The Welcomat, a sister publication to the South Philadelphia Press. In 1995, the paper became Philadelphia Weekly. The paper features stories on local and national politics, as well extensive coverage of the arts - music, film, theater and the visual arts.
From 1986 to 2015, the paper was owned by Review Publishing, along with sister publication South Philly Review. In 2015, both papers were sold to Broad Street Media, parent of the Northeast Times. In 2016, Richard Donnelly, president of New Jersey-based distribution company Donnelly Distribution, acquired Broad Street Media and its affiliates. Donnelly formed Newspaper Media Group.
In 2018, investor and former journalist and editor Dan McDonough purchased Philadelphia Weekly from Donnelly and Newspaper Media Group and returned the publication back to Philadelphia, headquartered in Center City. In September 2020, McDonough began a Kickstarter in an attempt to turn the Philadelphia Weekly into a politically conservative publication.
A guide to weekly events.
State of Our City
A weekly roundup of happenings and alternative stories otherwise hidden.
Voices of Our City
Collection of letters, rants and more straight from Philadelphia Weekly readers.
This syndicated sex column written by Dan Savage is a weekly feature.
- "Philadelphia Weekly". Verified Audit Circulation. Retrieved 2007-02-23.
- McQuade, Dan. "Philly Weekly, South Philly Review Sold to Broad Street Media". Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- Staff. "Broad Street Media Aquired [sic] by Donnelly Distribution". PhiladelphiaWeekly.com.
- "Greater Media Will Part With Its Newspaper Group". Insideradio.com. 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- Jason Fagone. "The Death (and Life) of the Philadelphia Weekly and Philadelphia City Paper". Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved 2014-08-22.