The Philadelphia vireo (Vireo philadelphicus) is a small North American songbird in the vireo family (Vireonidae). "Vireo" is a Latin word referring to a green migratory bird, perhaps the female golden oriole, possibly the European greenfinch. The specific philadelphicus is for the city of Philadelphia.
Adults are mainly olive-brown on the upperparts with yellow underparts; they have dark eyes and a grey crown. They have no wing bars and no eye ring. There is a dark line through the eyes and a white stripe just over them. They have thick blue-grey legs and a stout bill. The Philadelphia vireo is similar in appearance to the warbling vireo, but can be reliably distinguished by having much yellower underparts, and dark lores.
|length||4.5–5 in (110–130 mm)|
|weight||12 g (0.42 oz)|
|wingspan||8 in (200 mm)|
|wing||65.4–70 mm (2.57–2.76 in)|
|tail||45–52 mm (1.8–2.0 in)|
|culmen||9–11 mm (0.35–0.43 in)|
|tarsus||16–17 mm (0.63–0.67 in)|
Their breeding habitat is the edges of deciduous and mixed woods across Canada. They make a basket-shaped cup nest in a fork of a tree branch, usually placed relatively high. The female lays 3 to 5 lightly spotted white eggs. Incubation, by both parents, lasts up to 14 days.
They forage for insects in trees, sometimes hovering or flying to catch insects in flight. They also eat berries, especially before migration.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Vireo philadelphicus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Jobling, James A (2010). The Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names. London: Christopher Helm. pp. 302, 402. ISBN 978-1-4081-2501-4.
- "Vireo". Oxford English Dictionary (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. September 2005. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Godfrey, W. Earl (1966). The Birds of Canada. Ottawa: National Museum of Canada. pp. 318–319.
- Sibley, David Allen (2000). The Sibley Guide to Birds. New York: Knopf. p. 344. ISBN 0-679-45122-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vireo philadelphicus.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Vireo philadelphicus|
- Philadelphia Vireo - Vireo philadelphicus - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Philadelphia Vireo Species Account - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- "Philadelphia Vireo media". Internet Bird Collection.
- Philadelphia Vireo photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Philadelphia Vireo species account at NeotropicalBirds (Cornell University)