This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Erik Bengtsson, Howard Bornstein, Chris Herndon, Deyan Vitanov|
|Origins||San Mateo, CA|
Philanthropedia, a division of GuideStar, is an expert crowdsourcing resource for funders and others to learn about high-impact nonprofit organizations. The site features more than 11,000 reviews from 1,400 experts who are interviewed and surveyed. The site also features rankings based on a combination of in-depth surveys and conversations with experts, including academics, funders, grant makers, policy makers and consultants.
Philanthropedia was incubated at the Stanford Graduate School of Business starting in 2008 with the assistance of the Hewlett Foundation. Initially, the start-up was called Nonprofit Knowledge Network (or NKN). In 2008, NKN launched its first cause, recommending 8 top nonprofits working in the field of education at the national level.
In 2009, NKN officially incorporated as an organization, rebranded as Philanthropedia, under the leadership of Deyan Vitanov as CEO and Erinn Andrews as COO. Also in 2009, Philanthropedia released rounds of research on education, climate change, Bay Area homelessness and international microfinance.
In 2011, Philanthropedia was acquired by GuideStar and continues to run its core research now as a division of GuideStar.
- Cuberta, Phil. "Dam Busting to Get a Flood of Giving Now". 50 Shades of Grey in Philanthropy. Gift Hub. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Rigoglioso, Marguerite. "Giving Just Got Easier: Philanthropedia Brings the Cream to the Top". Center for Social Innovation. Stanford Graduate School of Business. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Philanthropedia releases microfinance ranking". Philanthropy Management. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Takagi, Gene. "Philanthropedia". Nonprofit Law Blog. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Stannard-Stockton, Sean. "Philanthropedia". Tactical Philanthropy. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Unitus Endorsed as Top Nonprofit by Philanthropedia". Unitus Labs. Retrieved 21 December 2012.