From 1972 to 1975, Buckler was curate at Bushey Heath in St Albans. He then became chaplain of Trinity College, Cambridge from 1975 to 1981. In 1981, he moved to St Paul's Cathedral to become minor canon and sacrist; a post he held until 1986.
Buckler was appointed vicar of Hampstead in 1987, and he was also area dean of North Camden between 1993 and 1998. He became a canon residentiary of St Paul's Cathedral, London, in 1999 before becoming canon treasurer in 2000.
- The Reverend Philip Buckler (1974–1999)
- The Reverend Canon Philip Buckler (1999–2007)
- The Very Reverend Philip Buckler (2007–2016)
- The Reverend Philip Buckler (2016–present)
- Who's Who 2012 – "Buckler, Philip John Warr"
- Queen appoints new Dean of Lincoln (2006), 10 Downing Street, London, http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page10124.asp
- "Hampstead Parish Church - Magazines". Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Resignations and retirements". Church Times (#7950). 31 July 2015. p. 22. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 4 August 2015. (subscription required (. ))