Philip Coppens (author)
January 25, 1971
|Died||December 30, 2012
|Cause of death||Angiosarcoma|
|Resting place||Court of Freedom, Forest Lawn Memorial Park|
|Known for||Alternative history and fringe science theories|
|Spouse(s)||Kathleen McGowan (m. 2011)|
Philip Coppens (25 January 1971 – 30 December 2012) was a Belgian author, radio host, and commentator whose writings, speeches and television appearances focused on areas of fringe science and alternative history.
Coppens was born in Sint-Niklaas, Belgium. He was a cohost of the Spirit Revolution radio show, his writing was featured in Nexus and Atlantis Rising magazines, and he appeared in 16 episodes of the History Channel's Ancient Aliens television series.
Philip Coppens started his writing career as an investigative journalist, covering intelligence activities and politics. In 1995, he was a co-founder of Frontier 2000 (later called Frontier Magazine), a periodical with a circulation centered primarily in the Benelux countries. In 1999, he served as the primary researcher for The Stargate Conspiracy, a book about ancient Egypt and the degree to which its history serves as a continuing influence on contemporary politics and politicians.
Coppens' second book, The Canopus Revelation (2004), questioned the assumption that ancient Egyptians associated their god Osiris with the constellation of Orion. Instead he proposed Canopus, the second brightest star in the night-time sky. He appeared at Quest Conference 2005 to give a presentation on this idea.
In Servants of the Grail (2009), Coppens suggested real-life counterparts for the characters in Chrétien de Troyes' Perceval, the Story of the Grail. These included the identification of Rotrou III, Count of Perche with Perceval. Also in 2009, he contributed a chapter to Ancient Code: Are You Ready for the Real 2012?, entitled "Ancient Inroads Towards a New Age".
From 2010 to 2012, Coppens was a frequent contributor to the History Channel's Ancient Aliens series. Nigerian journalist J.K. Obatala, writing about a month after Coppens' death, described him as an "ancient alien buff." Obatala credited Coppens with helping to debunk a claim that the Dogon Ayantu (spiritual leaders) of Mali had astronomical knowledge they could only have obtained from visitors from Sirius – in an article entitled "Dogon Shame."
In October 2012, he was a featured presenter at Intrepid Magazine's Paradigm Symposium.
A eulogy for Coppens, published in Intrepid's January print edition, included a quotation from Coppens' final post to his personal blog: "I was diagnosed with an extremely rare case of cancer, angiosarcoma, which affects less than 200 people in the U.S. (each year). Each case is almost by default unique… and so I found that the man who normally studies anomalies, has become a medical enigma as well.” Roughly a fortnight later, Coppens died.
- Coppens, Philip (2002). The Stone Puzzle of Rosslyn Chapel. Frontier Publishing/Adventures Unlimited Press. ISBN 1-931882-08-8.
- Coppens, Philip (2004). The Canopus Revelation – Stargate of the Gods and the Ark of Osiris. Enkhuizen, The Netherlands: Frontier Publishing. ISBN 1-931882-26-6.
- Coppens, Philip (2007). Land of the Gods:How a Scottish Landscape Was Sanctified to Become Arthur's Camelot. Enkhuizen, The Netherlands: Frontier Publishing. ISBN 1-931882-69-X.
- Coppens, Philip (2007). The New Pyramid Age. Axis Mundi Books. ISBN 184694046X.
- Coppens, Philip (2009). Servants of the Grail. Axis Mundi Books. ISBN 1846941555.
- Coppens, Philip (2011). The Ancient Alien Question: A New Inquiry into the Existence, Evidence, and Influence of Ancient Visitors. Pompton Plains, NJ: New Page Books. ISBN 1601631987.
- Coppens, Philip (2012). The Lost Civilization Enigma. New Page Books. ISBN 1601632320.
- Coppens, Philip (2012). Killing Kennedy. BookBaby. ASIN B0070DP0IW.
- Coppens, Philip (2012). The Cryptogram of Rennes-le-Château. BookBaby. ASIN B009164WH6.
- Obituary on the Forest Lawn cemetery web page
- Farewell for now, dear Friend, Intrepid Magazine, Volume 1, Issue 10. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- Picknett, Lynn and Clive Prince (1997). The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ. Simon and Schuster. p. 226. ISBN 0-7432-7325-7.
- Are Aliens To Thank For Changes In Human History?, KDKA (AM) Pittsburgh Newsradio 1020, Mike Pintek interviews Phillip Coppens, 28 October 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Noory, George, Philip Coppens R.I.P., Coast to Coast AM website, 30 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Philip Coppens Of ‘Ancient Aliens’ Passes Away Report]". Inquisitr.com. 2012-12-27. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Internet Movie Data Base Full List of Cast and Crew for Ancient Aliens
- Coppens, Philip (July 22, 2012). "When Two become One". Road News. philipcoppens.com. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
Kathleen and I fell in love on May 29, 2009 and were legally married on September 22, 2011.
- Allan, Brian; et al. (2009). Ancient Code: Are You Ready for the Real 2012?. Reality Press. ISBN 978-1-934588-81-9.
- Picknett, Lynn and Clive Prince (2001 Trade paperback edition). The Stargate Conspiracy: The Truth About Extraterrestrial Life and the Mysteries of Ancient Egypt. Berkley Publishing Group. ISBN 0-425-17658-4. Check date values in:
- "Event Programme for QuestCon05". andrewcollins.com. 2005-11-05. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Obatala, J.K., Sirius - The African Timekeeper (2), The Guardian, 17 January 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Joseph, Dr (2011-10-23). "Book Review: The Ancient Alien Question: A New Inquiry Into The Existence, Evidence and Influence of Ancient Visitors by Philip Coppens". seattlepi.com. Retrieved 2013-01-18.