|Born||1 February 1946|
|Institutions||University College London
City University, London
|Alma mater||City of London School
Trinity Hall, Cambridge
Darwin College, Cambridge
|Notable awards||Guy Medal (Bronze, 1978) (Silver, 2001)|
Alexander Philip Dawid (born 1 February 1946) is Emeritus Professor of Statistics of the University of Cambridge, and Emeritus Fellow of Darwin College, Cambridge. He is a leading proponent of Bayesian statistics.
He was lecturer in statistics at University College London from 1969 to 1978. He was then Professor of Statistics at The City University until 1981, when he returned to UCL as a reader, becoming Pearson Professor of Statistics there in 1982. He moved to Cambridge University as Professor of Statistics in 2007, retiring in 2013.
He was elected a member of the International Statistical Institute in 1978, and a Chartered Statistician of the Royal Statistical Society in 1993. He was editor of Biometrika from 1992 to 1996 and President of the International Society for Bayesian Analysis in 2000. He is also an elected Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. He received the 1977 George W. Snedecor Award from the Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies. Dawid was awarded the 1978 Guy Medal in Bronze  and the 2001 Guy Medal in Silver by the Royal Statistical Society.
His book Probabilistic Networks and Expert Systems (1999, Springer-Verlag), written jointly with Robert G. Cowell, Steffen Lauritzen, and David J. Spiegelhalter, received the 2001 DeGroot Prize from the International Society for Bayesian Analysis.
- Spiegelhalter, David J., A. Philip Dawid, Steffen Lauritzen and Robert G. Cowell "Bayesian analysis in expert systems" in Statistical Science, 8(3), 1993.
- Robert G. Cowell, A. Philip Dawid, David J. Spiegelhalter, "Sequential Model Criticism in Probabilistic Expert Systems." IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 15(3), 1993
- A. Philip Dawid, Uffe Kjærulff, Steffen Lauritzen, "Hybrid Propagation in Junction Trees." IPMU 1994
- Past Officers, Board Members and Appointments of ISBA, International Society for Bayesian Analysis. Accessed 27 January 2010
- Honored Fellows, Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Accessed 27 January 2010
- COPPS Awards Recipients. Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Accessed 27 January 2010
- Guy Medal in Bronze, Royal Statistical Society. Accessed 27 January 2010
- Guy Medal in Silver, Royal Statistical Society. Accessed 27 January 2010
- DeGroot Prize, International Society for Bayesian Analysis. Accessed 27 January 2010
- Philip Dawid Bio, Neural Information Processing Systems Foundation. Accessed 27 January 2010
- Philip Dawid homepage, Cambridge University
- Prof Philip Dawid Authorised Biography at Debrett’s People of Today