|The Most Reverend
|Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne
Primate of Australia
|Church||Anglican Church of Australia|
|In office||2006–present (as archbishop)
2014–present (as primate)
|Predecessor||Peter Watson (as archbishop)
Phillip Aspinall (as primate)
9 February 1955 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Spouse||Joy née Launder|
|Previous post||Bishop of the Northern Territory|
Philip Leslie Freier (born 9 February 1955) is an Australian Anglican bishop. He has been the 13th Archbishop of Melbourne since 16 December 2006. He was elected Primate of Australia on 28 June 2014, being installed by Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, on 13 August 2014.
Early life, education and work
In addition to a PhD from James Cook University, he has received the degrees of Master of Educational Studies (MEdSt) from the University of Newcastle, Bachelor of Divinity (BD) from the Melbourne College of Divinity, Diploma of Education (DipEd) from the University of Queensland and Bachelor of Applied Science (BAppSc) from the Queensland Institute of Technology.
In 1999, Freier was elected as the Bishop of the Northern Territory. As a supporter of the indigenous Australian communities he pledged to support the Stolen Generations during their healing process. In April 2014, he wrote an opinion piece in Fairfax Media newspapers criticising the Australian government's "Operation Sovereign Borders" policy which places children in immigration detention, arguing that "churches cannot be silent" and must care for "the alien, orphan and widow". Freier has criticised large corporate banks in Australia, arguing that wealth creation should not be "separated from moral and social responsibility" and criticised the Abbott Government for "privileging the financial interest of corporations".
- - Chaplain, Most Venerable Order of Saint John (ChStJ)
- - Australian Centenary Medal
- - Order of St John Service Medal
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Grace|
- "Melbourne Archbishop Dr Philip Freier chosen as Anglican Primate of Australia". The Australian. 28 June 2014.
- "Archbishop Philip Freier". Anglican Diocese of Melbourne. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Time in the Northern Territory
- Philip Freier (17 April 2014). "Suffer the children, they have no asylum". Sydney Morning Herald.
- Kate Hagan (18 April 2014). "'Stop the suffering of children in detention', says Archbishop Philip Freier". Sydney Morning Herald.
- Philip Freier (12 April 2012). "Fair distribution of wealth will enrich Australian society". Canberra Times.
- "Easter roasting from bishops for 24/7 news, social media, banks and miners". News.com.au. 6 April 2012.
- Phillip Freier (6 June 2014). "Budget backlash shows we still value the fair go". Canberra Times.
- Anglican Communion Directory, March 2000.
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Primate of the Anglican Church of Australia
2014 to present
|Archbishop of Melbourne
2006 to present