Philip H. Melanson
Philip H. Melanson (1944 – September 18, 2006) was a Chancellor Professor of Policy Studies at University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and served on the Executive Board of the university's Center for Policy Analysis (CFPA) now known as the Public Policy Center. He served as chair of the Political Science Department for 12 years.
An internationally recognized expert on political violence and governmental secrecy, Melanson wrote numerous books and articles related to these subjects. He was also member of the governing board of the Coalition on Political Assassinations. He appeared on NPR, BBC, CBS, and CNN news programs.
In 2001 he was the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth Faculty Federation Scholar of the Year.
He made numerous Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, which resulted in the release of over 200,000 pages of federal government documents on topics relevant to his research. **Citation is incomplete.
The Philip H. Melanson Memorial Scholarship was established in 2006 by friends, colleagues, and former students of Dr. Melanson to provide financial assistance to graduate students who are enrolled at UMass Dartmouth and maintain an active interest in public policy.
- Knowledge, Politics, and Public Policy (ed.) (Cambridge, Mass.: Winthrop Publishers Inc., 1973).
- Political Science and Political Knowledge (Washington, D.C.: Public Affairs Press, 1975).
- The Politics of Protection: The U.S. Secret Service in The Terrorist Age, (New York: Praeger Publishers, 1984).
- The MURKIN Conspiracy: An Inquiry into the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (New York: Praeger Publishers, 1988).(ISBN 0-275-93029-7)
- Spy Saga: Lee Harvey Oswald and U.S. Intelligence (New York: Prager, 1990) (ISBN 0-275-93571-X).
- The Robert F. Kennedy Assassination: New Revelations on the Conspiracy and Coverup, 1968–1991 (New York: Shapolsky Publishers, 1991). Paperback edition, 1994.
- The Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. (New York: SPI Books, 1991). Paperback edition, 1994.
- Who Killed Martin Luther King? (Berkeley, Cal.: Odonian Press, 1991).
- Who Killed Robert Kennedy? (Berkeley, Cal Odonian Press, 1991).
- Shadow Play: The Killing of Robert Kennedy, The Trial of Sirhan Sirhan, and the Failure of American Justice. with William Klaber, (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1997). Paperback edition, 1998. (ISBN 0-312-15398-8)
- Secrecy Wars: Privacy, National Security and the Public’s Right to Know (Dulles, Virginia: Brassey’s Inc., January 2002). (ISBN 1-57488-324-0)
- The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency with Peter Stevens, (New York: Carroll and Graff, 2002) (ISBN 0-7867-1617-7).
Notes and references
- "The Public Policy Center (PPC) at UMass Dartmouth - History". University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Robert F. Kennedy Assassination Archive Collection MC1/RFKAA Guide and collection inventory" (PDF). April 6, 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "The Robert F. Kennedy Assassination Archives". Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Scholar of the Year Award" (PDF). UMass Dartmouth. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Marquard, Bryan. "Philip Melanson. Professor doggedly sought to open government", "The Boston Globe", 2006-9-22.
- "Philip H. Melanson Memorial Scholarship". UMass Dartmouth. Retrieved 17 June 2017.