Philip Arthur Dominic "Phil" Hollom (9 June 1912 – 20 June 2014) was a British ornithologist. He was born in Bickley, Kent, England. In March 1951 he became a member of the editorial board of British Birds magazine under the senior editorship of Max Nicholson, whom he succeeded in 1960. Nicholson, who had remained on the editorial board, and Hollom stood down in 1972 and were replaced on the board by Ian Wallace and Malcolm Ogilvie.
Hollom was a Council member and Vice President of the Ornithological Society of the Middle East. He was the first chairman of the British Birds Rarities Committee and was awarded the British Trust for Ornithology's Tucker Medal in 1954 and the British Ornithologists' Union's Union Medal "for his outstanding contribution to the BOU and to ornithology" in 1984.
- The Great Crested Grebe Enquiry 1931 by T. H. Harrisson and P. A. D. Hollom. H. F. & G. Witherby (1932)
- A field guide to the birds of Britain and Europe by Roger Peterson, Guy Mountfort, P.A.D. Hollom. Collins, 1954
- The Popular Handbook of British birds. H. F. & G. Witherby (1952, revised 1955, 1962, 1968, 1988)
- 5th (1988) edition: ISBN 0-85493-169-4
- Trapping Methods for Bird Ringers (BTO Guide No. 1) (1955)
- The Popular Handbook of Rarer British birds. H. F. & G. Witherby (1960) - included specially commissioned plates, by David Reid-Henry and Peter Scott
- Birds of the Middle East and North Africa. Poyser ISBN 0-85661-047-X (1988)
Dedicated to Hollom
- Birds of the Middle East R. F. Porter, S. Christensen, P. Schiermacker-Hansen
- Pitches, Adrian (June 2012). "Phil Hollom at 100". British Birds. 105 (6): 342–3. ISSN 0007-0335.
- Contemporary Authors. Volumes 15–16, Gale Research Company, Detroit, Michigan 1966, page 214
- A history of British Birds, Malcolm Ogilvie, James Ferguson-Lees and Richard Chandler, British Birds 100 (2007) 3-15
- OSME News, 2004
- "Phil Hollom, 1912 - 2014". British Ornithologists' Union. 2014-06-23. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Happy 100th birthday Phil Hollom!" (Press release). British Trust for Ornithology. 2012-06-09. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
|This article about a British ornithologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|