This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Phil Labonte performing at Rock im Park in 2015.
|Birth name||Philip Steven Labonte|
|Born||April 15, 1975|
|Origin||Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States|
Philip Steven Labonte (born April 15, 1975) is an American musician from Massachusetts, best known as the lead singer of the American metalcore band All That Remains. Labonte is the former lead vocalist for Shadows Fall, was the touring vocalist for Killswitch Engage in early 2010, and also filled in for Five Finger Death Punch vocalist Ivan L. Moody in late 2016.
In the mid-'90s, Labonte was in a band called Perpetual Doom. The band played death metal and its members were teenagers at the time. The original vocalist of Perpetual Doom was Scott Estes; Labonte, however, took over the vocal position in 1993 after Estes joined the Navy, and also played the guitar. In August 1993, Phil left to join the Marine Corps. Perpetual Doom remained inactive for nine months in Phil's absence. In June 1994, upon Phil's return, Perpetual Doom resumed writing with increased intensity. Other members included Ken Robert (vocals, guitar, now of Split Shift), Bill Brault (bass, now in Split Shift), and Stephen "Steve" Gonsalves (drums), who went on to become a paranormal investigator and future cast member of Ghost Hunters. Perpetual Doom released a seven-track demo in 1995 called "Sorrow's End".
Labonte left Perpetual Doom, however, to be the lead vocalist for Shadows Fall. Labonte did not play guitar for this band like he did in Perpetual Doom, and was Shadows Fall's first vocalist, completing the band's first lineup. The band's debut record, Somber Eyes to the Sky, was a heavy metal and melodic death metal album that was released in 1997 through Lifeless Records, a label owned by Shadows Fall guitarist Matt Bachand. Labonte was asked to leave Shadows Fall due to "musical differences" and was replaced with current vocalist Brian Fair, leaving Somber Eyes to the Sky as the only Shadows Fall record with Labonte on vocals.
In 1998, Labonte formed All That Remains as a side project. After leaving Shadows Fall, All That Remains became his main priority. Their debut record, Behind Silence and Solitude, was released in 2002 through Prosthetic Records/Razor & Tie. A short time later, Labonte tried out for Killswitch Engage after the departure of their vocalist, Jesse Leach. Although he lost the audition to now former Killswitch Engage and former Blood Has Been Shed vocalist Howard Jones, the band told him he was a close second. In Killswitch Engage's DVD "(Set This) World Ablaze", Labonte states that Jones is a better singer than he is. In 2010, he was asked to fill in as Killswitch's vocalist during the band's tour with The Devil Wears Prada and Dark Tranquillity after Howard had to drop off the beginning of the tour.
In March 2011, Labonte appeared on CNN in an interview where he discussed his experiences during the 2011 earthquake in Japan. All That Remains was playing a concert in Osaka, Japan, nearly 800 miles from the site of the earthquake, when the earthquake began.
He is for cutting the size of the military and was critical of U.S. intervention overseas and military bases in the Middle East; he stated: "You can be pro-military and not be pro-imperialism. You can be pro-military and pro-national events and still think that we have too many bases in foreign countries that we just don’t need."
He supported Republican presidential candidates Ron Paul in 2012, and Rand Paul in 2016. In 2020, he endorsed Libertarian nominee Jo Jorgensen for the presidential election, while also expressing his detest for the party’s leadership.
Phil has mentioned his influences range from Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Grave, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, and even a lot of 80s hair metal bands. In an interview, Phil said, "I fell in love with the whole glam world. And then like death metal too, Cannibal Corpse…it's very wide range of what people like, you know, Justin Timberlake…all that stuff." He mentioned via Twitter and Facebook that he is a huge fan of Bring Me the Horizon and The Acacia Strain. He also is known for being a huge fan of non-metal acts such as Sarah McLachlan, Garth Brooks, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Fall Out Boy, and Skrillex.
With Perpetual Doom
- Sorrow's End (Demo) (1995)
With Shadows Fall
- To Ashes (EP) (1997)
- Somber Eyes to the Sky (1997)
All That Remains
- Behind Silence and Solitude (2002)
- This Darkened Heart (2004)
- The Fall of Ideals (2006)
- Overcome (2008)
- For We Are Many (2010)
- A War You Cannot Win (2012)
- The Order of Things (2015)
- Madness (2017)
- Victim of the New Disease (2018)
- Killswitch Engage – "Self Revolution", "To The Sons Of Man", "Hope Is...", "Irreversal (re-recorded)"
- Ligeia – "Makin' Love to a Murderer"
- Flatlined – "Parallel Reflections"
- The Autumn Offering – "Homecoming"
- The Acacia Strain – "Predator; Never Prey"
- Tarja Turunen – "Dark Star"
- Unearth – "Grave of Opportunity" (music video)
- Jasta – "Something You Should Know"
- "All That Remains on Myspace". Retrieved 18 April 2009.
- "Overcome on Way Too Loud!". waytooloud.com. 16 September 2008. Archived from the original on 3 June 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2009.
- "Perpetual Doom on Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 18 April 2009.
- "The Metal Web - All That Remains Interview". Archived from the original on 2008-07-23.
- GitterAugust 29, Mike; 2012. "All That Remains Singer Phil Labonte on His Political Views, Guns and Upcoming Album (EXCLUSIVE)". Noisecreep.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "All That Remains' Phil Labonte: "Can't Shoot A Lion, But You Can Dissect An Unborn Human For Profit Or Research"". Theprp.com. 29 July 2015.
- "RADIO.COM". RADIO.COM.
- GBFNovember 15, 103; 2012. "All That Remains Singer Phil Labonte Talks Military, Religion + 'A War You Cannot Win'". Loudwire.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Ron Paul Endorsement from Non-Political Figures". ronpaulforums.com.
- "Log In or Sign Up to View". facebook.com.
- @philthatremains (7 August 2020). "In case you didn't know, #JoJorgensen2020 Cause she cares about things I care about like civil asset forfeiture, the #2A, and a severely limited federal government" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- @philthatremains (4 September 2020). "I disavow the @LPNational in its entirety. They've accepted a caucus that rejects private property rights, they've embraced an ideology that ignores the individual, and they've insulted individuals who've done more for liberty than the LP ever will. The LP is an embarrassment" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- PhilThatRemains (13 April 2018). "I'm an atheist and I feel like if this were about any other religion it would be considered by some as hateful. "Infiltration" and "pervasive traditionalism" in the headline frame it like something you should be suspect of.https://twitter.com/newyorker/status/984842437641240583 …". External link in
- "HugeDomains.com - TheScreamQueen.com is for sale (The Scream Queen)". hugedomains.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2013-09-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Log In or Sign Up to View". facebook.com.
- "Phil Labonte - All That Remains, Shadows Fall". metalfanatix.com. Archived from the original on 2014-12-20. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-19. Retrieved 2013-09-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "PhilThatRemains (@philthatremains) - Twitter". twitter.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philip Labonte.|