|Born||Colin Philip Lowrie
20 June 1936 (age 79)
Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
|Television||Coronation Street (1960–68, 2011-14)|
Colin Philip Lowrie, known as Philip Lowrie (born 20 June 1936) is an English television actor, best known for playing Dennis Tanner in the long-running ITV soap opera Coronation Street, from the programme's inception in 1960 until 1968, and again from 2011 until 2014. He reappeared in the Street, playing the same character, in 2011.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (July 2010)|
Lowrie is the son of Philip Lowrie, a foreman in a paper mill, and Bertha Lowrie (née Collins). Lowrie had a stammer so attended elocution lessons at Miss Atherton's Elocution. When he left secondary school, his mother managed to save enough money to pay his fees at RADA where he studied for three years.
In addition to his Coronation Street role, Lowrie also did the voiceover and auditions for the popular Channel 4 quiz show Fifteen to One. He was a regular performer on Victoria Wood's television shows: All Day Breakfast, The Mall, Pat and Margaret, Live In Your Own Room, We'd Like To Apologise, As Seen On TV and Wood and Walters. Other television appearances include: Andy Capp (1988), Crown Court (1975), War and Peace (1972), East Lynne (1976), The Cuckoo Waltz (1977), The Liver Birds (1978), Galloping Galaxies (1986) and Doctors (2005).
In September 2011, Lowrie was presented with a certificate by the Guinness World Records for being the person with the longest gap between television appearances in the same show, being for Coronation Street (from 1960–1968, returning in 2011).
- Researcha[dead link]
- Birth registered: GRO June quarter 1936 Ashton, Volume 8d page 975.
- Nown, Graham (1986). Coronation Street, 1960–1985 : 25 Years. CBC Enterprises. p. 214. ISBN 0-88794-231-8.
- "Dennis Tanner to return to cobbles- Coronation Street". ITV.com. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Published Tuesday, Jan 25 2011, 08:22 GMT (2011-01-25). "Dennis Tanner to make Corrie comeback - Coronation Street News - Soaps". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | LOWRIE, Philip". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
|This article about a British actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|