Philip Michael Wolfson
Philip Michael Wolfson (born 1958) is an American artist, who worked as head of design for architect Zaha Hadid and now has his own studio.
He was born in Philadelphia in 1958. He studied architecture at Cornell University and the Architectural Association, London. He then worked with architect Zaha Hadid for 10 years, becoming her head of design. He founded his own studio in 1991.
He has established his distinctive pathway, re-examining the forms and ideas of the early 20th century Modernist movements, particularly Constructivism and Futurism. His unique approach to design and art is informed by the dynamics of fracture and fragmentation – layering and manipulating his materials into fluid shapes and forms, where the dynamics of light, shadow and reflection are an integral part of the seduction of the work. They are elegant, graceful designs, easily resembling elongated black swan wings in repose; layered geological contortions, or the energetic movements of an impassioned orchestral conductor. The exquisite use of noble materials woods, glass, metals and stones, as well as new materials, such as carbon fiber, brings dynamic elegance and an individual contemporary feeling that enhances his unique approach. Works by Philip Michael Wolfson have been shown at, or are included in numerous international collections including the Victoria and Albert Museum (London. UK), the Foundation Cartier (Paris, FR), and the Price Tower Arts Center (Bartlesville, USA). His designs are on display at renowned galleries (Contrasts, Shanghai; Franziska Kessler, Zurich; Sebastian + Barquet, New York), at high-profile design art fairs (Art Basel, Design Miami, Salone Internazionale del Mobile, Milan, TEFAF, Maastricht) and thru the auction houses, Christies and Phillips de Pury in London and New York.
He designed key furniture pieces for the Robert restaurant at New York's Museum of Arts and Design, including a 15 ft long steel table and smaller cocktail tables. His other works include "SoundForm FLUID", a bar counter created for Scotch whisky company Glenmorangie. He has also produced other items of furniture including table Origami FloorDanceO.
He has had a solo exhibition at Industry Gallery in Washington, DC, exhibited at Gallery Franziska Kessler in Switzerland, the London Design Festival, and the International Contemporary Furniture Fair.
- "Philip Michael Wolfson", Footballers Property, http://www.footballersproperty.com/philip_michael_wolfson.html
- Costas Voyatzis, "BETWEEN LINES by Marcus Tremonto + Philip Michael Wolfson", Yatzer, June 12, 2009, http://www.yatzer.com/BETWEEN-LINES-by-Marcus-Tremonto-and-Philip-Michael-Wolfson
- Linda Tischler, "Restaurants of the Recession: Robert, New York City ", Fast Company, Jan 28, 2010, http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/linda-tischler/design-times/restaurants-recession-robert-new-york-city-0
- Karen Day, "Robert Restaurant at the Museum of Arts and Design", Cool Hunting, December 23, 2009, http://www.coolhunting.com/design/museum-of-arts.php
- Eric Newill, "Philip Michael Wolfson's bar for LVMH", Vault Magazine, May 10, 2012, http://www.vaultmagazine.com/magazine/philip-michael-wolfsons-bar-for-lvmh/
- "SoundForm FLUID for Glenmorangie By Philip Michael Wolfson", Contemporist, January 3, 2012, http://www.contemporist.com/2012/01/03/soundform-fluid-for-glenmorangie-by-philip-michael-wolfson/
- "Origami FloorDanceO by Philip Michael Wolfson", Pleaz, March 30, 2011, http://www.pleaz.fr/deco-design/origami-floordanceo-by-philip-michael-wolfson/
- Phil Hutinet, "Weekend [East City] Roundup: March Super Saturday Edition", DC Style is Real, March 16, 2012, http://dcstyleisreal.com/2012/03/16/weekend-east-city-roundup-march-super-saturday-edition/
- "Why/WhyNot by Philip Michael Wolfson", Design Spotter, June 2009, http://www.designspotter.com/product/2009/06/Why-WhyNot.html
- "Philip Michael Wolfson: Origami FloorDanceO", London Design Festival, 2011, http://www.londondesignfestival.com/content/philip-michael-wolfson-origami-floordanceo
- "Gli arredi-scultura di Philip Michael Wolfson al London Design Week", Designer Blog.it, October 22, 2009, http://www.designerblog.it/post/7406/gli-arredi-scultura-di-philip-michael-wolfson-al-london-design-week
- "Philip Michael Wolfson realizza 'Twisted'", Archiportale, November 2009, http://www.archiportale.com/news/2009/11/design-trends/philip-michael-wolfson-realizza-twisted-_16927_39.html
- Emin Kadi, "Best of ICFF 2012", Clear Magazine, May 24, 2012, http://clearmag.com/fashion/clear-magazines-icff-picks-publisher-emin-kadi/
- vice.com Art Talk Philip Michael Wolfson
- SoundForm FLUID for Glenmorangie By Philip Michael Wolfson
- Philip Michael Wolfson at Covent Garden Super Design
- Philip Michael Wolfson’s bar for LVMH
- Hatchfund – Philip Michael Wolfson 2013
- Frieze Diary by Philip Michael Wolfson October 24, 2013 by Philip Michael Wolfson
- Wolfson Design, his studio