||This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (July 2013) (|
Phillip Keith Newell is a former Anglican Bishop of Tasmania. He was born on 30 January 1930 and educated at the University of Melbourne. After working as a mathematics teacher and tutor in physics, from 1958 Newell studied for ordination as a residential student at Trinity College Theological School, Melbourne, winning the Henty Theological Studentship. He became a priest in 1960. He was successively curate of St James, King Street, Sydney, Rector of Christ Church, St Lucia Brisbane, a canon residentiary of St John's Cathedral, Brisbane and finally (before his elevation to the episcopate) Archdeacon of Lilley.
In January 2016 Mr. Newell was accused of covering up for and further promoting convicted paedophile priest Louis Daniels at hearings of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Bishop Newell denied any cover up yet told the Commission that he apologised "from the bottom of my heart" for any harm his actions may have caused.  
- 25th anniversary of appointment marked
- Fleur-de-Lys, Nov. 1958, pp. 14, 16.
- church website
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "Case Study 36, Child Abuse Royal Commission". www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Ex Tasmanian bishop's sons made 'sore bottoms' joke about boys' society, inquiry hears". ABC News. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
|Anglican Communion titles|
Robert Edward Davies
|Bishop of Tasmania
|This article about an individual Australian Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|