Philip Ozouf Jr
|Philip Francis Cyril Ozouf|
Senator Ozouf in 2012 (facing camera).
November 2014 – present
|Minister for Treasury and Resources|
November 2008 – November 2014
|Preceded by||Senator Terry Le Sueur|
|Succeeded by||Senator Alan Maclean|
|Minister for Economic Development|
|Succeeded by||Senator Alan Maclean|
November 2008 – 2014
December 1999 – November 2002
|Constituency||Saint Helier district 3 and 4|
March 25, 1970 |
|Residence||St Saviour, Jersey|
Senator Philip Ozouf (born 25 March 1970) is a Jersey politician. He has been a member of the States of Jersey since 1999 and has previously served as Economic Development Minister, Treasury and Resources Minister and Assistant Chief Minister in the Council of Ministers.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Electoral history
- 3 Responsibilities
- 4 Previous posts
- 5 Notable achievements
- 6 Criticisms
- 7 Campaigns
- 8 International representation
- 9 References
- 10 Further reading
- 11 External links
He was educated at Victoria College, Jersey, then attended the European Business School in London, Frankfurt and Paris; he gained a BA (Hons) International Business and French Equivalent. He also qualified to diploma stage of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants. He describes himself as a "reasonably fluent" French, German and Spanish speaker.
Senator Ozouf serves as Vice Chairman of the Alliance Française Jersey branch.
Assistant Chief Minister
From the October 2014 election Senator Ozouf acted as Assistant Chief Minister with responsibility for Financial Services, Digital, Competition and Innovation matters, assuming full responsibility for Jersey's Innovation Fund at the beginning of 2016. On 20 January 2017 the Chief Minister confirmed that he had received and accepted Senator Ozouf's formal resignation from the post following publication of a report from the Auditor General criticising the way in which the Jersey Innovation Fund had lost a substantial part of the public funds entrusted to it .
Privileges and Procedures Committee
Ozouf served on the Privileges and Procedures Committee.
Between December 2008 and October 2014, Ozouf had been Treasury Minister in the Council of Ministers. He was proposed for the post by the Chief Minister, Terry Le Sueur, and received 38 votes, beating Deputy Geoff Southern who received 13 votes.
From 2005 to 2008, Ozouf was Economic Development Minister in the Council of Ministers. This role had a wide remit, taking responsibility for subjects as varied as transport links, the Competition Law, the Rural Strategy. He was primarily tasked with achieving 2% real economic growth annually. This was something which has been recognised, even by his critics, as no small task. Ozouf was a strong supporter of the Goods and Sales Tax (GST), introduced on 6 May 2008 and initially levied at 3%.
Ozouf was vice chairman of the States of Jersey Employment Board.
Ozouf was responsible for 'cleaning up' the Jersey fulfillment industry by preventing companies who sought to exploit the UK VAT threshold by establishing a Jersey mailbox. The move drew criticism from Deputy Geoff Southern, as Chair of the Economic Affairs scrutiny panel, however the move was welcomed by Jersey businesses.
In 2012, Ozouf was the subject of criticism over the States of Jersey's failed plan to purchase Lime Grove House, an office building, for the intended use as a new police headquarters for the States of Jersey Police. Senator Sarah Ferguson lodged a vote of censure against Ozouf, which was later withdrawn. According to Ozouf the Lime Grove House building would have been unsuitable, and as an alternative, part of the adjacent Green Street public car park could be used as a site for a new police headquarters. In mid-2013 plans to build a new police building on part of Green Street car park were approved, and its completion is due in early 2017.
Gambling in Jersey
Ozouf has called for Jersey to reform its gambling laws.
Ozouf has called for the installation of a Financial Ombudsman in Jersey.
Ensuring competition of ferry routes
- "Jersey election 2014: Results and candidates". BBC. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Who we are and what we do". Gov.je. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- Ozouf, Philip. "About". website. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Constable Philip Ozouf in hospital". BBC News. 2003-02-02. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "PHILIP OZOUF: MANIFESTO 2014" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Jersey Politics Page: Election results archive". Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Senator - Philip Francis Cyril Ozouf". Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Alliance Française Committee Members". Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Senator Philip Ozouf has officially resigned as Minister". www.itv.com. ITV. 20 January 2017. line feed character in
|title=at position 26 (help)
- "CONFIRMED: Chief Minister accepts Senator Philip Ozouf's offer to 'step aside'". www.jerseyeveningpost.com. Jersey Evening Post. 20 January 2017.
- "Privileges and Procedures Committee". www.statesassembly.gov.je. States of Jersey.
- States of Jersey. "Senator - Philip Francis Cyril Ozouf". Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Question Time". BBC Jersey. 2008-11-12. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Cut-price loophole closed on CDs". BBC News. 2006-02-28. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Council of Ministers". Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "We Want Our Island Back Newsletter" (PDF). January 2006. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Employment of States of Jersey Employees (Jersey) Law 2005". Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Jersey Legal Information Board". Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Jersey Community Relations Trust: appointment of Chairman and a Trustee". 2004-05-11. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "L'Assemblée Parlementaire de la Francophonie". Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Jersey minister hopes abuse will end with discrimination law". BBC News. BBC. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 2015-04-03. Jersey minister hopes abuse will end with discrimination law],
- "Support for island partnerships: Progress Jersey campaign for civil partnerships to be legally recognised is being supported by a Jersey senator". BBC News. BBC. 7 May 2006. Retrieved 2007-07-02.
Senator Philip Ozouf says he agrees with a petition being organised by Progress Jersey.
- "Jersey States approves civil partnerships". BBC News Jersey. 2011-07-12. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "BBC News - Jersey's Treasury Minister will face a vote of censure". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-06-12. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "BBC News - Philip Ozouf reprimand over police station deal withdrawn". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Senator Ozouf answers his critics « This Is Jersey". Thisisjersey.com. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "BBC News - Jersey Green Street police headquarters plans approved". Bbc.co.uk. 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Island urged to step up gambling". Casino City Times. 2007-06-27. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "BIOA – providing a platform for development and improvement" (PDF). The Ombudsman. December 2006. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Agreement draft for Channel Islands ferry route". 2006-03-08. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Shipping and Port Services Enquiry: Issues Paper" (PDF). 2006-10-04. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
- "Sixth Meeting Of The British-Irish Council (Environment Sectoral Group)". 2005-04-07. Retrieved 2007-07-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philip Ozouf.|