|Philip Graham Ryken|
Philip Ryken in front of the pulpit of Tenth Presbyterian Church, 2010.
|Born||September 29, 1966|
|Title||President of Wheaton College|
|Education||Wheaton College, Westminster Theological Seminary|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (PhD)|
|Main interests||Historical theology|
Ryken received a B.A. from Wheaton College in 1988, with a double major in English literature and philosophy. He also completed a Master of Divinity from Westminster Theological Seminary in 1992, and a PhD in historical theology from University of Oxford in 1995.
Ryken is an ordained teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church in America. He joined the pastoral staff of historic Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia in 1995 and was elevated to the position of senior minister upon the death of James Boice in 2000. In February 2010, the Board of Trustees at Wheaton College announced his selection as the college's eighth president, succeeding the retiring Duane Litfin. Ryken took office on 1 July 2010 and was formally inaugurated on 17 September 2010 at Edman Chapel.
He is a member of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, serving as a member of the Alliance Council, which features his expository preaching on its weekly national radio and internet broadcast, Every Last Word.
He has written over thirty books on a wide variety of Christian subjects, including:
- Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts
- Written in Stone: The Ten Commandments and Today's Moral Crisis
- The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel with James Montgomery Boice and R.C. Sproul
- Discovering God in Stories from the Bible
Ryken has also coauthored a series of commentaries on individual books of the Bible with R. Kent Hughes. Ryken and his father, literary scholar Leland Ryken, have collaborated to produce a study Bible, and the father-son team worked with James Wilhoit to write Ryken's Bible Handbook, which focuses on the literary genres and styles in each book of the Bible.
Ryken is the son of Christian literary scholar and Wheaton professor, Leland Ryken. Ryken met his wife, Lisa, while the two were students at Wheaton. They were married after their junior year. The couple have five children, and reside in Wheaton. He is known to enjoy waterskiing, basketball and poetry.
- Ryken, Philip G. (2001). The Message of Salvation: by God's grace, for God's glory. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press. ISBN 978-0-830-82404-5. OCLC 48123211.
- ——— (2001). Jeremiah and Lamentations: from sorrow to hope. Preaching the Word. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-581-34167-6. OCLC 44885114.
- ——— (2002). The Coctrines of Grace: rediscovering the evangelical Gospel. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-581-34299-4. OCLC 48550967.
- ———; Boice, James Montgomery (2002). Jesus on Trial. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-581-34401-1. OCLC 48649754.
- ———; Thomas, Derek W. H.; Duncan III, J. Ligon (2003). Give Praise to God: a vision for reforming worship : celebrating the legacy of James Montgomery Boice. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Publishing. ISBN 978-0-8755-2553-2. OCLC 52587635.
- ——— (2005). Galatians. Reformed Expository Commentary. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Publishing. ISBN 978-0-875-52782-6. OCLC 58720713.
- ——— (2006). Art for God's sake: a call to recover the arts. Phillipsburg, NJ: P & R Publishing. ISBN 978-1-5963-8007-3. OCLC 61684233.
- ———; Ryken, Leland (2007). The Literary Study Bible: ESV: English Standard version, containing the Old and New Testaments. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-581-34808-8. OCLC 123284869.
- ———; Davis, Jeffry C., eds. (2012). Liberal arts for the Christian life. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-433-52394-6. OCLC 793539869.
- ———; Davis, Jeffry C.; Wilson, Todd A. (2012). Pastors in the Classics: timeless lessons on life and ministry from world literature. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0-801-07197-3. OCLC 729346781.
- Tenth Presbyterian Church - Philadelphia, PA: Dr. Philip G. Ryken
- Wheaton College Names Philip Ryken President-Elect
- "Phillip Ryken Named New President of Wheaton College". Church Report. Christy Media. 2010-02-20. Archived from the original on 2010-02-21. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Council - Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, Inc
- Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
- Every Last Word broadcast
- Tenth Presbyterian Church
- Wheaton College
|President of Wheaton College
James Montgomery Boice
|Senior Minister of Tenth Presbyterian Church