Philip S. Khoury
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Philip S. Khoury (born October 15, 1949) is Ford International Professor of History and Associate Provost at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is also Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the American University of Beirut.
Khoury was born on October 15, 1949, in Washington, D.C. the son of a naturalized Sunni Muslim American lawyer and a Lebanese diplomat and educator. He was educated at the Sidwell Friends School (1953–1967) in Washington and then at the American University of Beirut, Trinity College (BA, 1971), and Harvard University (PhD, 1980). In 1981, he joined MIT as an assistant professor of history, rising to the rank of professor.
From 1991-2006, Khoury served as Dean of the MIT School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences. During his deanship, he helped to maintain the national leadership of his school's doctoral programs, introduced new master's programs in Comparative Media Studies and Science Writing, expanded its international studies faculty and programs, and raised considerable new endowment., In 2002, he was appointed the first Kenan Sahin Dean of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences at MIT. He left the dean's office in 2006 to become Associate Provost responsible for overseeing MIT’s non-curricular arts programs and initiatives, including the MIT Museum and the List Visual Arts Center, strategic planning for international education and research, the promotion of the public understanding of science and technology, and the OpenCourseWare Publishing Initiative.
Khoury established in 1985, and has chaired ever since, the Emile Bustani Middle East Seminar, an MIT forum focused on contemporary Middle Eastern affairs. He also co-founded in 1986 and chaired until 2006, the John E. Burchard Scholars Program, MIT's undergraduate society of fellows in the humanities, arts, and social sciences.,
Khoury has been awarded fellowships from the Fulbright-Hays Foundation, Social Science Research Council, Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, and Thomas J. Watson Foundation. He has been a Visiting Associate of St. Antony's College in the University of Oxford and a Faculty Associate of Harvard University’s Center for Middle Eastern Studies. He has received the Distinguished Alumni Medal of the American University of Beirut and the Alumni Medal of Excellence of Trinity College.
- 1987; George Louis Beer Prize of the American Historical Association
- 1998; elected President of the Middle East Studies Association (MESA)
- 2002; elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- 2008; elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Chairman of The World Peace Foundation, 2004-- (Trustee since 1999)
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the American University of Beirut, July 2009-- (Trustee since 1997)
- Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Trinity College (Hartford CT), 2007-- (Trustee since 2000)
Khoury is also a trustee and/or member of:
- the Toynbee Prize Foundation, 1997--
- the National Humanities Center in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina., 2007--
- Board of Overseers of Koç University in Istanbul, Turkey., 2006--
- Academic Research Council, Singapore, 2008--
- the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2006-2009.
- Director of the Harvard Cooperative Society, 1998-2003.
Publications (partial list)
- Urban Notables and Arab Nationalism (Cambridge University Press, 1983, 2003) ISBN 0-521-53323-6;
- Syria and the French Mandate (Princeton University Press, 1987), ISBN 0-691-05486-X, received the George Louis Beer Prize  of the American Historical Association.
Khoury is co-editor of:
- Tribes and State Formation in the Middle East (University of California Press, 1991) ISBN 0-520-07080-1;
- Recovering Beirut: Urban Design and Post-war Reconstruction (Brill Publishers, 1993), ISBN 978-90-04-09911-1;
- The Modern Middle East: A Reader (I.B. Tauris, 1993, 2004), ISBN 0-520-08241-9;
- Mit - Khoury
- List of trustees of the American University of Beirut
- MESA 1998 Presidential Address
- 2002 American Academy Inductions
- The World Peace Foundation: Home
- American University of Beirut; Board of Trustees
- Trinity College; College Leadership
- National Humanities Center; Trustees of the Center
- Koç University; Board of Overseers
- George Louis Beer Prize Recipients