|Born||1950 (age 67–68)|
|Known for||Australian philanthropist, Animal rights activist|
|Website||Winsome Constance Kindness Trust|
Philip Wollen OAM (born 1950) is an Australian philanthropist. He is a former Vice-President of Citibank and was also General Manager at Citicorp. Wollen became a vegan following his departure from Citibank and is a prominent member of the animal rights movement. He conducts intervention programs to rescue abused animals and funds outreach programs that promote animal welfare and abstinence. At age 34, Australian Business Magazine named him in the "Brightest and Best" top 40 headhunted executives in Australia. In 2005 he received the Medal of the Order of Australia  and in 2007 he won the Australian of the Year (Victoria) award. In 2012 he was made an Honorary Fellow of the Oxford Centre of Animal Ethics, UK. In 2014 he received the University of Adelaide Distinguished Alumni Award . He also received the award "Vegan of the Year 2014". Wollen went to school at the Bishop Cotton Boys' School, Bangalore. He delivered The General Thimayya Memorial Lecture Bangalore, India in 2008. He lives with his wife Trix and his four dogs in Melbourne, Victoria.
Winsome Constance Kindness
Philip Wollen's main project, Winsome Constance Kindness, is a global initiative whose mission statement is "to promote kindness towards all other living beings and enshrine it as a recognisable trait in the Australian character and culture". The initiative emphasises ethics, compassion and co-operation, and opposes cruelty to humans and non-human animals. In 2006 it had initiatives in 34 countries and is growing.
Winsome Constance Kindness Medal
The award includes a cash prize of $25,000. Recipients of the Kindness Medal have been;
- 2012: Sir David Attenborough
- 2011: Dr T. Colin Campbell
- 2010: Dr Ian Gawler OAM
- 2009: Dame Jane Goodall DBE
- 2008: Smt Maneka Gandhi MP
- 2007: Captain Paul Watson
- 2006: Dr Jill Robinson MBE
- 2005: Dr Christine Townend
- 2004: Sri Pradeep Kumar Nath
"Kindness House" is one of Philip Wollen's more unusual innovations, an incubator for growing NGOs. Kindness House provides office facilities with modern technology, enabling those within the building to work more efficiently. It is located in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy.
- Interview with Philip Wollen on veganeasy.org Archived 2016-10-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Banker Who Gave It All Away: The Age article
- Philip Wollen's profile on the Wheeler Centre
- National Australia Day Council
- Winsome Constance Kindness Trust homepage
- Winsome Constance Medal Recipients
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Philip Wollen|
- Kindness Trust on Facebook
- Kindness House
- Winsome Constance Kindness Trust
- Australia Day Awards 2005
- Philip Wollen's quotes from All Creatures
- Intelligence Squared Debate on ABC TV. “Animals Should Be Off The Menu”
- “Live Animal Exports Address, South Australian Parliament”
- “The Oceans”
- Hunting – “Sport” or “Ignoble Atrocity”?
- “The Animal Holocaust” Jo Frederiks, Animals and Art
- “International March against Cruelty”
- Sir David Attenborough receives the Kindness Prize and Gold Medal
- “Philip Wollen and Dr Will Tuttle, The World Peace Diet” - Radio interview.
- “The Vegan-Easy Challenge”
- “World Vegan Summit Los Angeles 2015”
- Wheeler Centre and the St. James Centre of Ethics “Who is Philip Wollen”.