|Born||November 4, 1949|
Philip Yancey (born 1949) is an American Christian author. Fourteen million copies of his books have been sold worldwide, making him one of the best-selling evangelical Christian authors. Two of his books have won the ECPA's Christian Book of the Year Award: The Jesus I Never Knew in 1996, and What's So Amazing About Grace? in 1998. He is published by Zondervan Publishing, WaterBrook, and Hachette.
Yancey was born in Atlanta and grew up in nearby suburbs. When Yancey was one year old, his father, stricken with polio, died, after church members suggested he go off life support in faith that God would heal him. This and other negative experiences with a rigid church contributed to Yancey's losing his faith at one point. After high school he attended college in South Carolina, where he met his wife, Janet. His two graduate degrees in Communications and English were earned from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago.
Yancey moved to Chicago, Illinois, and in 1971 joined the staff of Campus Life magazine—a publication of Youth for Christ directed towards high school and college students—where he served as editor for eight years. Yancey was for many years an editor for Christianity Today, and also wrote articles for publications including Reader's Digest, The Saturday Evening Post, Publishers Weekly, Chicago Tribune Magazine, Eternity, Moody Monthly, and National Wildlife. He now lives in Colorado, working as a freelance writer and an editor-at-large for Christianity Today. He was a member of the editorial board of Books & Culture, another magazine affiliated with Christianity Today, and travels around the world for speaking engagements.
Yancey was critically injured in a motor vehicle accident in February 2007 but recovered well. By August 2007, he had completed his goal of climbing all 54 of Colorado's 14,000-foot (4,300 m)-plus peaks, the final three after his accident.
- After the Wedding (1976)
- Where Is God When It Hurts? (1977) Gold Medallion Book Award (updated edition published in 1990, special edition in 2001), ISBN 0-310-35411-0
- Secrets of the Christian Life (1979) (co-authored with Tim Stafford and first published as 'Unhappy Secrets of the Christian Life'), ISBN 0-310-35481-1
- Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (1980) – co-authored with physician Paul W. Brand; Gold Medallion Book Award; ISBN 0-310-35451-X
- Open Windows (1982), ISBN 0-8407-5960-6
- Insight (1982)
- In His Image (1984) – co-authored with physician Paul W. Brand; Gold Medallion Book Award; ISBN 0-310-35501-X
- NIV Student Bible (1986) – co-edited with Tim Stafford; Gold Medallion Book Award; ISBN 0-310-92664-5
- Disappointment with God (1988); Gold Medallion Book Award; Christianity Today's Book of the Year; ISBN 0-310-51780-X
- I Was Just Wondering (1989) – excerpts from previous books and article ISBN 0-86347-460-8
- A Guided Tour of the Bible: 6 Months of Daily Readings (1989), ISBN 0-310-51650-1
- Praying with the KGB: A Startling Report from a Shattered Empire (1992) – ISBN 0-88070-511-6
- Discovering God: A Devotional Journey Through the Bible (1993)
- Pain: The Gift Nobody Wants (1993) – co-authored with physician Paul W. Brand; reissued in 1997 as The Gift of Pain; Gold Medallion Book Award; ISBN 0-06-017020-4
- The Jesus I Never Knew (1995) – Gold Medallion Book Award and ECPA Christian Book of the Year; ISBN 0-310-38570-9
- Finding God in Unexpected Places (1995) (updated 2nd edition published in 2005) – ISBN 0-385-51309-7
- What's So Amazing About Grace? (1997) Gold Medallion Book Award and ECPA Christian Book of the Year; ISBN 0-310-21327-4
- The Bible Jesus Read (1999) – Gold Medallion Book Award; ISBN 0-310-22834-4
- Reaching for the Invisible God (2000) – ISBN 0-310-23531-6
- Meet the Bible: A Panorama of God's Word in 366 Daily Readings and Reflections (2000) – co-authored with Brenda Quinn
- Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church (2001) – ISBN 978-0-385-50274-0
- Church: Why Bother?: My Personal Pilgrimage (2001) – Gold Medallion Book Award; ISBN 0-310-20200-0
- Rumors of Another World (2003) – renamed as A Skeptic's Guide to Faith (2009), ISBN 978-0-310-32502-4
- In the Likeness of God (2004) – The Dr. Paul Brand tribute edition of Fearfully and Wonderfully Made and In His Image, ISBN 0-310-25742-5
- Designer Sex (2005) – 32-page booklet
- Finding God in Unexpected Places: Revised Edition – Doubleday, 2005
- When We Hurt : Prayer, Preparation & Hope for Life's Pain (2006)
- Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? (2006) – ISBN 978-0-310-27105-5
- What Good Is God? (2010) – ISBN 978-0-446-55985-0
- The Question That Never Goes Away (2014) – ISBN 978-0310339823
- Vanishing Grace: What Ever Happened to the Good News? (2014) – ISBN 978-0310339328
- "Library of Congress Authority Record: Yancey, Philip". 2012-10-02.
- "ECPA". Archived from the original on 2007-04-03. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church by Yancey, Hodder & Stoughton, 2001, p 12.
- Finding God in Unexpected Places by Philip Yancey, 1995, Zondervan, p. 60.
- "Philip Yancey's Life". Archived from the original on 2006-02-02. Retrieved 2006-03-06.
- Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church by Yancey, Hodder & Stoughton, 2001, pp 21–22.
- Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church by Yancey, Hodder & Stoughton, 2001, pp 2, 45.
- "Soul Survivor – Philip Yancey – "About the Author"". Random House. Retrieved 2006-03-06.
- ChristianityTodayLibrary.com newsletter January 21, 2008 reproduced in Random Musings from a Doctor's Chair (retrieved January 27, 2008).
- ISBN 978-0-8355-1309-8