Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (April 2017)
|Duke of Württemberg|
|Head of the House of Württemberg|
|Period||31 October 1939 – 17 April 1975|
14 November 1893|
Stuttgart, Kingdom of Württemberg (now Baden-Württemberg), Empire of Germany (now Germany)
|Died||1 April 1975
Ravensburg, Upper Swabia, Ravensburg District, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany (now Germany)
|Spouse||Archduchess Helena of Austria-Tuscany
(m. 1923; her death 1924)
Archduchess Rosa of Austria-Tuscany
(m. 1928; his death 1975)
|Father||Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg|
|Mother||Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria|
|Religion||Roman Catholic Christian|
Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg (George Philipp Albrecht Carl Maria Joseph Ludwig Hubertus Stanislaus Leopold Herzog von Württemberg, 14 November 1893 in Stuttgart – 17 April 1975 in Ravensburg) was the son of Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg, and Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria. He became head of the formerly reigning royal House of Württemberg on the death of his father in 1939.
Marriages and children
His first marriage was to Archduchess Helena of Austria, Princess of Tuscany (born 30 October 1903 in Linz; died 8 September 1924 in Tübingen), daughter of Archduke Peter Ferdinand of Austria (younger son of Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany) and Princess Maria Cristina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (daughter of Prince Alfonso, Count of Caserta), on 24 October 1923 in Altshausen. They had one daughter:
- Duchess Maria Christina of Württemberg (born 2 September 1924 in Tübingen), married on 23 September 1948 to Prince Georg Hartmann of Liechtenstein (11 November 1911 – 18 January 1998), son of Prince Aloys of Liechtenstein.
Archduchess Helena died a week after giving birth to her daughter, Duchess Maria Christina.
His second marriage was to Archduchess Rosa of Austria, Princess of Tuscany (born 22 September 1906 in Parsch; died 17 September 1983 in Friedrichshafen), the sister of his late wife, on 1 August 1928 in Friedrichshafen. They had two sons and four daughters:
- Duchess Helene of Württemberg (born 29 June 1929), married in 1961 to Margrave Federico Pallavicini.
- Duke Ludwig Albrecht of Württemberg (born 23 October 1930), renounced his claim as hereditary head of the dynasty, twice marrying morganatically, with issue.
- Duchess Elisabeth of Württemberg (born 2 February 1933), married in 1958 to Prince Antoine of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, with issue.
- Duchess Marie Thérèse of Württemberg (born 12 November 1934), married in 1957 to Prince Henri d'Orléans, Count of Paris. Marriage annulled, and now known as Duchesse de Montpensier.
- Carl, Duke of Württemberg born 1 August 1936, head of the House of Württemberg.
- Duchess Maria Antonia of Württemberg (31 August 1937 – 12 November 2004).
- 14 November 1893 – 2 October 1921: His Royal Highness Duke Phillip Albrecht of Württemberg
- 2 October 1921 – 31 October 1939: His Royal Highness The Hereditary Duke of Württemberg
- 31 October 1939 – 17 April 1975: His Royal Highness The Duke of Württemberg
References and notes
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstlich Hauser Band XVI., Limburg an der Lahn, 2001, pp. 179–180, 600.
Philipp Albrecht, Duke of WürttembergBorn: 14 November 1893 Died: 17 April 1975
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
King of Württemberg
31 October 1939 – 17 April 1975
Reason for succession failure:
Kingdom abolished in 1918