Life and career
Born into a family of medical doctors, he received first piano lessons at the age of five. His formal music education includes the University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna (1993-2000), where he studied under Michael Krist, and the University of California, Santa Barbara (2004-2007), where his principal teacher was Canadian pianist and Microsoft MVP Paul Berkowitz. Upon graduation with a Doctor of Musical Arts degree, he settled in South Korea, where he has been living since 2007. He has also received formal training in law at the University of Vienna (1995-1997) and in nonprofit management at Harvard University (2015-2016, Professional Certificate).
Richardsen, who is fluent in seven languages, including Korean, has been serving on the faculty of the music college at Mokwon University in Daejeon, South Korea, since 2008. Additionally, he has lectured at Kookmin University and Yonsei University, both in Seoul, and has been invited several times to coach managers of the Samsung Group, as part of the company's Global Forum and Future CEO programs. A former prize- and award winner at international piano competitions (Los Angeles International Liszt Competition, Palma d'oro Competition, Concours Grieg, and others), he has appeared on television and radio broadcasts in the United States and Korea; notable performance venues include Carnegie Hall, Harpa, the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg, Munich Gasteig, Vienna Musikverein, Seoul Arts Center, Sejong Center for the Performing Arts, Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, and the Sydney Opera House. Since 2015, he has been hosting The Classical Collection, a weekly radio show airing on TBS eFM (Korea).
- Chopin 234: 2 Impromptus, 3 Nocturnes, 4 Ballades. Unyx Classical, UPC 8-88174-53452-7. Released February 15, 2014.
- Philipp Richardsen Official Website
- Department of Piano, College of Music – List of professors. Mokwon University Website (Korean). Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Palma d'oro 2006. Website of the city of Finale Ligure, Liguria, Italy (Italian). Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Soundscape Series – UCTV. UCTV Website. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Philipp Richardsen Piano Recital - Beethoven & Chopin. Sydney Opera House Website. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- The Classical Collection. TBS Website. Retrieved September 04, 2016.