||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Langley is the President of the Scottish branch of the Richard III Society. She attributes the discovery to a feeling she had when first visiting the northern end of the Social Services car park where the king was later found, having gone to Leicester for the purpose of finding out more about the historical figure for a screenplay she was writing (though other members of the Richard III Society had suggested the three central car parks location as long ago as 1975  but an oversight in footnoting gave no evidence for it). According to Langley, "the first time I stood in that car park, the strangest feeling just washed over me. I thought: 'I am standing on Richard's grave'." She proceeded to raise money for, organise and commission the excavation of the site, leading to the eventual discovery of Richard III's remains. She later contributed to a documentary about the project, titled Richard III: The King in the Car Park based on her original Looking For Richard Project.
Langley is currently working on the screenplay for a proposed film on the life of Richard III, in which she hopes Richard will be portrayed by English actor Richard Armitage, who himself was named after the king. She is co-author, with Michael K. Jones, of The King's Grave: The Search for Richard III (US title: The King`s Grave: The Discovery of Richard III’s Lost Burial Place and the Clues It Holds).
In 2014, Langley detailed the years of research behind the Looking For Richard Project that got her to the northern end of the car park in Leicester in search of the church and grave in Finding Richard III: The Official Account of Research by the Retrieval & Reburial Project. The co-authored work includes chapters from Looking For Richard Project members, Dr. John Ashdown-Hill and Dr David and Wendy Johnson and is edited by Annette Carson.
- "Philippa Langley". Richard III Society. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Strange, Audrey (September 1975). "The Grey Friars, Leicester". The Ricardian (Richard III Society) 3 (no. 50): 3–7.
- Kennedy, Maev (5 February 2013). "'It's like Richard III wanted to be found'". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Dickson, E. Jane (4 February 2013). "Meet Philippa Langley: the woman who discovered Richard III in a car park". Radio Times. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Nutt, Kathleen (2 February 2013). "Hobbit actor lines up role as Richard III". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "A search for bones of Henry I is planned in Reading". BBC News. 24 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Leicester Mercury. Accessed 12 June 2015
- Ashdown-Hill, John; David Johnson; Wendy Johnson; P. J. Langley (2014). Carson, Annette, ed. Finding Richard III: The Official Account of Research by the Retrieval & Reburial Project. Horstead: Imprimis Imprimatur. ISBN 978-0-9576840-2-7.
- Philippa Langley at the Internet Movie Database
- Richard III: The King in the Car Park at the Internet Movie Database