Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster
|Philippa of Clarence|
|Countess of Ulster
Countess of March
Arms of Philippa of Clarence, 5th Countess of Ulster
16 August 1355|
Eltham Palace, Kent
|Died||5 January 1382
|Spouse||Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March|
|Issue||Elizabeth Mortimer, Lady Camoys
Roger Mortimer, 4th Earl of March
Philippa Mortimer, Countess of Pembroke and Arundel
Sir Edmund Mortimer
Sir John de Mortimer
|Father||Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence|
|Mother||Elizabeth de Burgh, Countess of Ulster|
She was born at Eltham Palace in Kent on 16 August 1355, the only child of Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence, and Elizabeth de Burgh, 4th Countess of Ulster. Her father was the third son, but second son to survive infancy, of King Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault.
Philippa married Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March, in 1368 at the age of thirteen in the Queen's Chapel at Reading Abbey, an alliance that would have far-reaching consequences in English history. Her cousin, King Richard II remained childless, making Philippa and her descendants next in line to the throne until his deposition. In the Wars of the Roses the Yorkist claim to the crown based its descent from Edward III through his granddaughter Philippa of Clarence. Philippa was Anne Mortimer's grandmother.
Marriage and issue
Her children with Edmund Mortimer were as follows:
|Lady Elizabeth Mortimer||12 February 1371||20 April 1417||She first married Sir Henry 'Hotspur' Percy, with whom she had two children, Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland, and Lady Elizabeth Percy. Her second husband was Thomas de Camoys, Baron Camoys, with whom she had a son, Lord Roger de Camoys. Elizabeth Mortimer was an ancestor of the third Queen Consort of Henry VIII, Jane Seymour.|
|Roger Mortimer, 4th Earl of March||11 April 1374||20 July 1398||He married Lady Alianore Holland, by whom he had four children, Anne, Edmund, 5th Earl of March, Eleanor, and Roger. The House of York's claim to the throne was through his eldest daughter, Anne Mortimer.|
|Lady Philippa Mortimer||21 November 1375||26 September 1400||She first married John Hastings, 3rd Earl of Pembroke. Her second husband was Richard Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel, with whom she had a son, John, who died young. Her third husband was Sir Thomas Poynings of Basing, 5th Baron St. John.|
|Sir Edmund Mortimer||9 November 1376||13 May 1411||Married Catrin (Catherine) Glyndŵr, the daughter of Owain Glyndŵr. They had issue, possibly a son named Lionel, said to have died young, and three daughters who died in the Tower of London alongside their mother.|
- Davies, R.R. (2004). "Mortimer, Roger (VII), fourth earl of March and sixth earl of Ulster (1374–1398)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19356. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Holmes, George (2004). "Mortimer, Edmund (III), third earl of March and earl of Ulster (1352-1381)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19342. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Leese, Thelma Anna (2007). Blood Royal: Issue of the Kings and Queens of Medieval England, 1066–1399. Heritage Books.
- Ormrod, W. M. (January 2008) . "Lionel, duke of Clarence (1338–1368)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/16750. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X.
- Ward, Jennifer (2004). "Clare, Elizabeth de (1294/5–1360)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/5435. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Weir, Alison (2008). Britain's Royal Families, The Complete Genealogy. London: Vintage Books. ISBN 978-0-09-953973-5.
- Weir, Alison (1995). The Wars of the Roses. New York: Random House. ISBN 978-034-54043-36.
Philippa, 5th Countess of UlsterBorn: 16 August 1355 Died: 5 January 1382
|Peerage of Ireland|
Elizabeth de Burgh
and Lionel of Antwerp
|Countess of Ulster
with Edmund Mortimer