Philippe Bouchet in May, 2005
|Institutions||Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle|
Philippe Bouchet (born 1953) is a French biologist whose primary scientific fields of study are malacology and taxonomy. He works at the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris. He is also a Commissioner of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature.
He has named over 500 new taxa of mollusks, and numerous taxa have been named in his honor.
Bouchet is a senior professor at the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris, and is head of the Malacology laboratory and the Taxonomy Collections Unit there. He is also one of the Commissioners of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature and has been a member of the ICZN since 1990.
Philippe Bouchet is co-editor of several volumes in the Tropical Deep-Sea Benthos series.
In 2005, Bouchet was the senior author (editor) (with Jean-Pierre Rocroi) of a taxonomy of the Gastropoda, published in a paper entitled "Classification and Nomenclator of Gastropod Families" published in the journal Malacologia.
Bouchet is the head of the 2004 Panglao Marine Biodiversity Project.
Taxa named, and taxa named in his honor
By the end of 2010, Bouchet had described (alone or together with others) more than 500 new species, mainly gastropods. More than 70 new species have been named in his honor. Bouchet was honored with a new genus named after him by Houart & Héros in 2008: Bouchetia. And in 2012, Bouchet was honored by having a monotypic family (and genus) of gastropods named after him: Bouchetispiridae (and Bouchetispira) by Kantor, Strong & Puillandre.
His publications as author or co-author are numerous. A few examples are listed below:
- P. Bouchet, Revision of the Northeast Atlantic Bathyal and Abyssal Turridae (Mollusca, Gastropoda); J. Mollus. Stud. (1980) 46 (Supplement 8): 1-119. doi:10.1093/mollus/46.Supplement_8.1
- Philippe Bouchet and Marco Taviani, The Mediterranean deep-sea fauna: pseudopopulations of Atlantic species?; Deep-Sea Research Part A: Oceanographic Research Papers, Volume 39, Issue 2, February 1992, Pages 169-184
- P. Bouchet , The magnitude of marine biodiversity, VliZ, 2006 (also as .pdf)
- Bouchet P. & Mermet G. (photographer) (2008). Shells 168 pp., ISBN 978-0-7892-0989-4
- Philippe Bouchet, Hervé Le Guyader et Olivier Pascal, "Des voyages de Cook à l’expédition Santo 2006 : un renouveau des explorations naturalistes des îles du Pacifique", Journal de la Société des Océanistes, 126–127 | Année 2008
- "Pangalao Marine Biodiversity Project website". Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "ICZN website". Archived from the original on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- Bouchet P.; Rocroi J.-P.; Frýda J.; Hausdorf B.; Ponder W.; Valdés Á. & Warén A. (2005). "Classification and nomenclator of gastropod families". Malacologia: International Journal of Malacology. Hackenheim, Germany: ConchBooks. 47 (1-2): 1–397. ISBN 3-925919-72-4. ISSN 0076-2997.
- "ICZN Professor Philippe Bouchet". Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Taxon list". Marinespecies.org. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Houart Roland, Heros Virginie, (2008). Muricidae (Mollusca: Gastropoda) from Fiji and Tonga, Mémoires du Muséum national d'histoire naturelle (in French). 196. pp. 437–480. ISSN 1243-4442.
- Kantor Y.I., Strong E.E. & Puillandre N. (2012) A new lineage of Conoidea (Gastropoda: Neogastropoda) revealed by morphological and molecular data. Journal of Molluscan Studies 78: 246–255
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philippe Bouchet.|